Cleansing the IP directories

Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 14:19:59 -0400 (AST)
From: David Potter <potter@csuite.ns.ca>
To: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
cc: editors@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, CCN TECHTEAM <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Christopher Majka wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, David Potter wrote:
>
> > CCN is under considerable pressure to abandon both
> >
> > cfn.cs.dal.ca and ccn.cs.dal.ca
>
> Good. BTW, why?

These are 'dal' addresses and they.... want them back/want us off/...some
variation of this. To be honest I'd like to retire them myself and move
on.

> Do you mean a guninea-pig IP site? ;->

Yes... someone with machine generated pages... although it's likely that
these won't be touched in the process.

> > but I'd also like some suggestions as to how we might move this forward.
>
> What needs to be done? If your sanitizing script can do the job without
> causing catastrophe (or presumably lesser-iterations of the above), can
> you just turn them loose and let them chew through the info tree?

Yes... we'd do it overnight... I'd probably do one section first
( Technology/ ...?) and then assuming we don't have problems do the rest
the next night.

However we need to provide notice to IP's, and an opportunity for them
to do the work themselves if they so choose.

david potter