Cleansing the IP directories

Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 14:07:41 -0400 (AST)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: David Potter <potter@csuite.ns.ca>
cc: editors@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, CCN TECHTEAM <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi all,

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, David Potter wrote:

> CCN is under considerable pressure to abandon both
>
> cfn.cs.dal.ca and ccn.cs.dal.ca

Good. BTW, why?

> and the technical committee has been working on methods of accomplishing
> this.
>
> One thing that needs to be done is to eliminate references to these
> addresses from the IP documents. (The Helpdesk is pretty clean as a result
> of the new document set and the switch to CSuite.)

I have systematically cleaned any references I find to both of these from
any CCN documents I encounter. Consequently most (but, I would warrent,
not all) of the CCN IP-area documents are free of these strings. However
_many_ IP's have not changed references at all, so I expect you will find
many instances of these strings in <link> elements there.

> With help from MichaelS... I've modified one of my sanitizing scripts to
> accomplish this.

Great.

> I've tested this on the HAPCS/ directory tree and we have good confidence
> that we can do this without catastrophe. As part of the work I back up
> each IP's directories (separately) and this could be used to restore the
> document set if disaster overtook.
>
> now...
>
> 1) it's important that the work be completed in the relatively near
> future, and.
>
> 2) it's important that the work not disrupt the IP's activities or frame
> of mind.
>
> I'd like to do a little more testing... on an IP directory where the IP
> uses one of the HTML Editors...

Do you mean a guninea-pig IP site? ;->

> but I'd also like some suggestions as to how we might move this forward.

What needs to be done? If your sanitizing script can do the job without
causing catastrophe (or presumably lesser-iterations of the above), can
you just turn them loose and let them chew through the info tree?

Can anyone thing of any instances where such a change would be
problematic?

Cheers,

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"We have ... in this country ... far too many captive editors who cannot
even be heard to rattle their chains."              -- Carl E. Lindstrom