Why we should all be concerned for the future of CCN

Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 15:24:30 -0300
To: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>, Blaine Murphy <blaine@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Peter Morgan <ae112@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: CCN Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, Richard Rudnicki <foxpoint@fox.nstn.ca>, Ccn Board <ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Hi Blaine and Chris,

Comments throughout:

>> I have a few suggestions which we should implement to get the word out
>> there about Chebucto.  The more publicity we get the more funds we can earn.

Sue Newhook is the new communications chair on the Board.

>I think these are all good suggestions. They do, however, point to our
>need for more staff who can organize/administer/implement these kinds of

I think in the area of communications we could actually give the volunteer
route one last try. Support and training?

>> I think the major problems which is stunting our growth are public
>> awareness of Chebucto, and training.

I think it is a) lack of PPP access for individuals and lack of PPP/FTP
access for IP's and c) lack of network services (multiple email, etc)
accounts for organizations.

Once we have these, then we have something to communicate.

>>  - Get a good terminal emulator (communications program) which we can

I think what we need to do is organize ourselves to offer individual
members PPP access and then take the ISP version of Netscape and Internet
Explorer and create automated individual dail-up connections. Sprint and
Sympatico do this--they just distribute a CD. We could do the same.

The number of people with older equipment who want to connect to the
Internet is fixed (and we have all of the market anyway).

>> Volunteer issues:

I think we have failed at recruiting new volunteers recently. It needs to
be a priority.

>>  - Utilize more volunteers when we can
>>
>>  - Have volunteer training workshops for different areas of our service
>>    such as office, technical, communications (such as printing pamphlets)
>
>staff time to do the hard (but necessary) ongoing work which volunteers
>will simply not get done and which you need to pay people to do.

Agreed. At least in my little head, a priority is to get at least a part
time executive director on Board.

Peter Morgan
Chair, Chebucto Community Network

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca

CHEBUCTO STATS
	4900+ active members
	almost 200 information providers
	4.8 million page impressions/month
	22,000 outbound email messages daily

MISSION STATEMENT
	CCN is a volunteer organization which provides the technology,
infrastructure and training that enables all people in the Greater Halifax
Region to participate in an electronic public space.  Users can gather and
share information and take part in exchanges and dialogue that enrich their
lives and their community.

GETTING A CHEBUCTO ACCOUNT
Chebucto accounts are free, but a $20/year adult membership is strongly
encouraged. Anyone with modem access and a terminal communications program
(e.g. hyperterminal on Windows 95) can dial in to 494-8006 and login as
"guest" with no password. The shortcut "g register" will allow one to
register to obtain a personal account. Public access facilities are
available in all the library
branches in Halifax. Human help is available at 494-2449