Why we should all be concerned for the future of CCN

Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:53:38 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Norman L. DeForest" <af380@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Peter Morgan <ae112@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: CCN Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, Richard Rudnicki <foxpoint@fox.nstn.ca>, Ccn Board <ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca>,

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Peter Morgan wrote:

[snip]
> - Our current web site has not been redesigned (graphics or information
> architecture) in a number of years.

Is it *really* that bad?  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

> On more positive notes:
[snip]
> - User help has continued to provide admirable service

Thanks for the complement.  I hope I have contributed to that.

[snip]
> Whether or not you agree with my vision is less important than that we
> agree to move on with a number of significant changes. These include:
[snip]
> - redesign the logon page, front page and section pages on the CCN site so
> that they a) better highlight our purpose and services b) better highlight
> our IP's and c) create a modern visually pleasing impression of CCN

... without sacrificing its usability for text browsers, I hope.
Included in the commitment for accessibility for all should be a
commitment for accessibility for the visually impaired.

[snip]
> - revamp every process so that a) it is efficient from a community member
> point of view and b) it is easy to administer (Why not a 1-page new member
> sign up screen? Name, address, user agreement, options (custom name, users
> guide, disk space, etc) , secure credit card payment, click here to join
> button)
[snip]

The requirement for mailed-in photocopies of identification should not be
discarded, in my opinion.  A number of free (and some not-so-free)
services have made the mistake of allowing sign-up online with virtually
no provision for verification of the user's identities.  They have
attracted spammers in droves who have created hundreds of different
throwaway accounts for spamming and some of these providers have found
their legitimate users complaining that other ISPs are rejecting their
email due to the spam coming from the system.  It is not too difficult for
someone to get multiple credit cards and open a different account with
each one -- as long as identities are not verified.  As one account gets
shut down for spamming, they just move on to the next one.  When one ISP
is used up, they move on to the next, leaving behind a reputation for that
ISP of being a 'spamhaus'.

And such streamlining in the name of 'efficiency' can lead to a
deterioration of the services offered to those without credit cards
if mailed-in applications for membership become the exception rather the
rule and the handling of such applications gets postponed to 'take care
of the more important stuff'.  There are already some services in Halifax
that are unavailable to me (even if I could afford them) because they
accept payment by credit card only.

Of course, once an account is opened, any additional services *could*
be made available via on-line forms.  It would be necessary for CCN
to add the capability for handling https requests first so the
confidentiality of such sensitive information as credit card numbers
is not compromised.  Such an addition to CCN would also make available
to CCN users other services on the Internet which currently require a
secure connection and also make it possible for commercial IPs on CCN
to process credit card orders.

Norman De Forest            http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/Profile.html
af380@chebucto.ns.ca           [=||=]            (A Speech Friendly Site)
"I'd offer to change your mind for you, but I don't have a fresh diaper."
                     -- Leah to pro-spammer in news.admin.net-abuse.email
Spammers, see:      http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/Profile.html#Contact
Spammees, see:             http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/Antispam.html