Why we should all be concerned for the future of CCN

Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 15:18:51 -0300 (ADT)
From: Blaine Murphy <blaine@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Peter Morgan <ae112@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: CCN Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, Richard Rudnicki <foxpoint@fox.nstn.ca>, Ccn Board <ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Hi,

I have a few suggestions which we should implement to get the word out
there about Chebucto.  The more publicity we get the more funds we can earn.
People are still unsure that Chebucto actually is an internet service.  I
hear this question quite often, "Once I am on Chebucto, can I get to the
internet?".

Just some suggestions:

  - Have public sessions in libraries more often
  - More trainers to help new users in high traffic venues like the library
  - An intermediate level manual
  - Have information/question and answer programs on community cable
  - More printed documentation in the libraries, computer stores, and
    internet cafes
  - Get the word out that you can advertise your small business on our
    homepages (I think we may have lost some potential users due to this)
  - A 'membership day' where we can have several people trying to respond
    to membership messages which get returned

I think the major problems which is stunting our growth are public
awareness of Chebucto, and training.

If we could get word out about Chebucto, and how to use it, I think we
could generate more funds.

Joe Baker, who had previously organized a dance etc...has wonderful
contacts, he did mention that he would help organize any dance type
events in the future.  I presume the only reason the dance didn't have
the attendence levels that we would have liked is that we didn't
advertise it very well.

Other technical issues:

 - Instead of cutting off a user with a pending file, lead them to a lynx
   page which describe how to renew

 - Get a good terminal emulator (communications program) which we can
   distribute to windows 3.11/windows '95 users (hyperterminal is laden with
   bugs which make it seem like it's chebucto's fault that things aren't
   working  properly)

Volunteer issues:

 - Utilize more volunteers when we can

 - Have volunteer training workshops for different areas of our service
   such as office, technical, communications (such as printing pamphlets)

I hope that my comments aren't too repetitive or simple, I hope we can
garner some use out of them.

Thanks.

Blaine Murphy <blaine@chebucto.ns.ca>
Office Administrator - Chebucto Community Net
Office Phone Number  - (902) 494 2449