Very Important: VDN Tiers & Costs

Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 12:40:46 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Peter Morgan <peter@riversystems.com>
cc: ccn board <ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca>, David Murdoch <murdoch@csuite.ns.ca>, CCN Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Greetings all,

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Peter Morgan wrote:

> I am widening a discussion taking place about IP fees so as to make sure we
> are all clear about what has and has not been agreed to.

Good point.

> Chris,
>
> The Board has passed a fee structure for IP's. The fee structure is to be
> implemented in a manner respectful of our many loyal IP's (and even the un
> loyal ones). I have summarized it below. Executive Summary: There are now
> annual fees for being an IP for any services above and beyond the basic IP
> package.
>
> If you have an objection to this structure, please feel free to raise it
> with Michael Colbourne before Thursday evening and he can put it on the
> Board agenda. (I will be away and he is vice-chair). I would be happy to
> discuss this with you in more detail when I am back from NB (next Friday.)
>
> For the record, in summary, the Board adopted the following:
>
> Basic IP -- contribution at level affordable to org. Includes
> Chebucto.ns.ca/~education/org type URL, web space, mailing lists, email
> address for an individual, etc. Web space limit, to be enforced sometime in
> the future of 25 mb
>
> IP Member -- annual cost $200, above (mail lists, web space, etc) with no
> space limit
>
> IP/Individual Virtual Domain -- annual cost $400, above with virtual domain
> and organizational email
>
> IP Org package -- annual cost $600, 10 email addresses, contracted support,
> org takes responsibility for all usage
>
> IP Network package -- annual cost $1000: 20 email addresses, etc
>
> PPP for all IP's paying more than $200, separate phone line.
>
> I am summarizing, but annual is mentioned at each level (5 separate times)
>
> If some other version has been communicated (in the Beacon, past practise)
> we will need to explain to any new inquires that a printed error occurred
> and that the correct fee is an annual fee. For people who currently have
> VDN's I agree we should continue to offer them whatever services they have
> and actively encourage them to pay the fees required of new IP subscribers.
>
> Implementation of the new fees was to be addressed by Jack and a couple of
> other committee members. But these are the parameters the Board has
> established.

The Board's will be done. ;-> However ...

Perhaps I was opaque when the discussion on these fee structures was
taking place in the IP Committee and at the Board, however, I it was
always my understanding that the IP/Individual Virtual Domain tier being
proposed was that of the existing tier, which charged the $400 fee as a
one-time _set-up_ charge.

In any event, for the sake of clarity, I would like to ask whether this
classification now replaces the previously distinction/tier of
business/non-business IP which we had established earlier this year, or do
we still have a business category of IP?

To recapitulate, earlier this year we established a 'business-IP' tier,
having the same benefits as a IP/Individual Virtual Domain under this
structure, however with an _annual_ fee of $500 (at that time to
distinguish it from the one-time $400 non-commercial IP). Does this
category still exist or have we harmonized everything under the present
system (business & non-business IP alike)?

If not, then is there a separate business tier with equivalent (but
perhaps higher?) costs for IP Org package & IP Network package applicable
to business IP's?

Let me suggest that whatever scheme the Board finally decides upon, it
should carefully delineate terms, costs, eligibility and conditions for
these and then post them prominently somewhere on the system to where we
(IP people) can refer inquiries. I feel very uncomfortable fielding
inquiries on this score when there is no canonical set of information I
can refer people to.

My personal view (and I will happily be proven wrong on this :-> ) is that
a $400 annual fee will prove prohibitively expensive to the vast majority
of non-business IPs.

Now one could argue: fine, let only those who can afford such a service
have it. In this case some, like SCETTNS or The Picaro (which have
recently gone through the VDN procedure) would probably simply elect not
to have a VDN and that would be that.

Others, like the Canadian Ski Patrol (which had already registered their
VDN and simply wished to move the site to a new server) or Heart Health
Nova Scotia (which needed a VDN but could certainly not afford an annual
fee of $400) would not have chosen the CCN at all (Heart Health Nova
Scotia can mount a site on a Dalhousie server for free). The NDP caucus
may have no problem at all in paying an annual fee of this scale.

I should point out that we are constantly losing some of our more
high-profile IPs to services which don't charge their IPs anything -- en
contairie they *pay* their IPs to be on their site. We have lost Neptune
Theatre, Symphony Nova Scotia and (most recently) Eastern Front Theatre
(all high-profile cultural IPs) all to Sympatico which contributes money
to these organizations and gives them free websites, multiple user
accounts, unlimited server space and even pays their own staff to design
websites for them!

We trail significantly behind this level of service and a $400 annual VDN
fee will be a definite non-starter for such groups.

I don't know the circumstances of the recent decision of the Discovery
Center to migrate from the CCN, however, I would not at all be surprised
to discover (no pun intended ;-> ) that Istar offered them a deal they
couldn't refuse. Ednet (which offers all sorts of free services)
constantly siphons off IPs which might otherwise be on the CCN. Pier 21
went there and almost all of the school IPs, a number of which had sites
on the CCN at one time, have all gone there

In my view the Board should carefully weigh all of these factors. Revenue
generation is certainly important, however, we have to be cogniscent of
the circumstances/desires/means of our IPs and and also of the Internet
environment we are living/working in.

Cheers,

Chris