Web Site on CCN

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:38:05 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Norman Lee <Norman.Lee@dal.ca>
cc: Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, Gerald Marshall <ar171@chebucto.ns.ca>, Paul Michael Boutilier <af286@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Norman!

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Norman Lee wrote:

> To Chebucto Community Net:
>
> 	Two issues concerning the use of a Web Site on CCN:
>
> 	1) The Dartmouth Barbershoppers (City of Lakes Chorus) of which I am
> a member, a member of the Board of Directors, and Chapter Newsletter
> editor, has asked me to be the contact for iss Web page on CCN.

Sure. All you need to do is:

1) Get the green light from Gerald Marshall who is the current IPE1 (the
editor in charge) of the site. [N.B. are both Gerald & Paul Michael
Boutilier staying on as editors of the site as well?]

2) Get an account on the CCN. Telnet to chebucto.ns.ca; login as 'guest'
and follow the menus to get your own account. As soon as the account is
activated let me know and I'll add it to the edit group.

> 	2) I am also the Chairman of the Metro Square and Round Dance
> Association. We would like to have a Web Site on CCN as well. I would
> be the main contact and 'site editor'. Currently our Web Site is
> located on my Dal IS2 account (http://is2.dal.ca/~nlee).

Great! Good place for it!

> 	Can I access the CCN Web Sites for changes etc. without dialing into
> CCN?

Sure. Once you get your CCN account, just telnet to chebucto.ns.ca, login
and go to it!

> 	Can I ftp to the CCN site from Dal via my ethernet connection?

Sure. You FTP files from Dal to your private file directory on the CCN and
then install them into your IP (Information Provider directory) from
there. We are currently beta-testing a system that would allow you to FTP
directly to an IP directory and perhaps by later in the fall this will be
operational as well (thus condensing the current two-step procedure into
one).

> 	I have taken the HTML Programming course which is a part of the
> Henson College, Webmaster Program. What othertraining would be
> required by me?

You could take the Information Provider's Training Course, however, as an
editor joing an already established site on the CCN you are not required
to. I would recommend that you:

1) Touch base with both Gerald Marshall & Paul Michael Boutilier; and
2) Carefully read the IP3 Training materials located at:
	http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/Training/Materials/IP3matl.html
and the majordomo documentation at:
	http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Help/MailList/MjDOwner.html

Which are the CCN specifical materials/information that you need to know.
If you have any question contact Gerald or Paul or me!

> 	Thank you in advance for your help.

Our pleasure!

Cheers,

Chris

> *  Norman Lee, Manager                   E-Mail: NORMAN.LEE@DAL.CA   *
> *  Hardware Services                                                 *
> *  Dalhousie University                  Tel:(902)494-1930           *
> *  Halifax, N.S.  B3H 4H8                Fax:(902)494-2319           *

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"We have ... in this country ... far too many captive editors who cannot
even be heard to rattle their chains."              -- Carl E. Lindstrom