note from Peter Mortimer

Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 18:33:19 -0400
From: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi all,

Odd thing happening - this seems to have bounced back to me twice.  Please
advise if this is a duplicate, or the first tiem you've recieved it.

Thanks,
mark

______FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS________

From:	Peter Mortimer <ag500@chebucto.ns.ca>

>You may have noted a post made by the volunteer committee earlier this
>week asking for "IP mentors".  When the IP committee first talked about
>this role we envisioned it as *one* way that we could develop a
>relationship with IP organizations.  I'm hoping to put together a small
>group of volunteers who will take this task on.  I'm not convinced,
>however, that this will be enough.
>
>I also think that we have to develop a better product for IP's *and* the
>infrastructure to support it.  Specifically:
>
>1.  PPP access
>2.  FTP capability
>3.  virtual domains - I realize that we can provide this now (and some of
>the other items on this list) but I think we have to come up with a
>better, more efficient way to market and implement this with IP's
>4.  multi email addresses for an IP
>5.  multi majordomo lists
>6.  a browser interface to check email etc...
>
>The IP committee has talked about a number of other features, but I
>believe these are the ones seen as most valuable.
>

>On Fri, 15 May 1998, Christopher Majka wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This whole sad affair is (in my view) a canonical illustration of what
>> Peter Mortimer has been saying about the CCN having (all too often) a
>> relationship not with the IP but solely with an IP Editor.
>>
>> Here we have a case of an IP which, even after a 2.5 year trouble-free
>> tenure at the CCN still had not sense of relationship with us at all. The
>> administration of the organization have no connection with their ISP; the
>> decision to move the site was taken ad-hoc by an ex-employee for reasons
>> that no one in the organization seems even to have been acquainted with
>> let alone remember now; and we only learn of the move after-the-fact by a
>> short-term contracted employee badgering us to close the site down. It's a
>> lamentable state of affairs.
>>
>> I'm not going to pretend I have an answer for how to avoid such things in
>> the future. Clearly (however we do it) we need to build a relationship and
>> a sense of partnership with our IPs. We need to involve them in ways that
>> are more than arms-length. Our initial optimism at the CCN that a
>> relationship with an IP Editor would necessarily mature into something
>> more substantive were clearly (in some circumstances) overly optimistic.
>>
>> We (in the IP Committee) have talked about may specific improvements to
>> the CCN interface and functionality. Clearly, however, these have to be
>> set into a larger context of building a more comprehensive relationship.
>
>   ----
>   Peter Mortimer
>   Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Mark Rushton, Editor, Community Support & Development, Chebucto Community
Network
Mark@chebucto.ns.ca     or via WWW:  http://chebucto.ns.ca/~Mark/index.html