beta 2?

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 15:10:04 -0300
From: David Trueman <david@cs.dal.ca>
To: csuite-tech@chebucto.ns.ca

On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, John Nemeth wrote:

> On Apr 19,  8:48pm, David Trueman wrote:
> }
> } Yes, there will be a beta 2 and it will be in 7-10 days from now.
> } There will be only critical bug fixes between beta 2 and 1.0.
>
>      The last announcement which I saw (which was part of the workshop
> notes) said that feature freeze was set for yesterday and release was
> set for Monday (two days from now).  If there is going to be slippage
> from announced timeframes, can you keep us informed please?  What is
> the new ETA for 1.0?

We will try to keep you informed.  ETA for 1.0 itself is uncertain because
Industry Canada is going to review before it gets called 1.0.  What they
will be reviewing is beta 2 and we all want only the most critical fixes
applied between beta 2 and 1.0 so that their review isn't instantly
obsolete.

So, the best we can say is that beta 2 will be very stable wrt version
1.0.  We will probably start work on 1.1 and issue alphas on that before
1.0 is officially released.  Since we have no idea how long the review
will take, I would not wait for 1.0.  These are all external conditions
that we have very little control over.

  David Trueman,
    Systems Manager, Dalhousie Math, Stats and Computing Science
    Technical Chair, Chebucto Community Net