system invasiveness

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 13:55:42 -0300
From: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: csuite-tech@chebucto.ns.ca
cc: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>

Hello John,

=09I haven't seen a response to this note, so just a preliminary
comment, and we'll get followup from others.

=09One of our goals from very early on was to limit the
"invasiveness" of the CSuite Package, in just exactly the ways you
describe, both as to existing functionality, and as to things like
passwords. =20

=09As development has proceeded a long way beyond our original
design, we have discovered that many systems lacked some of the features
we had taken for granted, and so we have had to include in the
installation, provision to update systems just to get the package to work.
Except for simple additions, however, I understood that the installation
was careful about replacing existing functions without the install
operator's permission.  [I say this only from discussion, as I have not
personally run the installation yet.  My role on the team is currently as=
=20
scribe.]

=09I'm not sure what has happened here, whether the instalation
script failed to recognize your existing mail system,  or whether the
confirmation (which was added for some "external" changes) failed in this
case.  Or perhaps a test for certain features failed and caused a branch
directly to the zmailer install.

=09It is my understanding that CSuite would work quite successfully
with sendmail, although we must admit to not having tested it.  One of
zmailer's claimed features is sendmail compatibility.

=09On behalf of the CSuite development team, our apologies for=20
this event.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention,  and hopefully we
will be able to resolve this and other problems while we are still in this
extended Beta phase.

Ed Dyer aa146@chebucto.ns.ca   (902) H 826-7496  CCN  Assistant Postmaster
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa146/    W 426-4894  CSuite Technical Workshop

P.S. As to sharing the server with other functions, in general we have not
made much in the way of assumptions, except that sufficient capability be
available to CSuite.  Up until recently, we ran our development operation
on our production system, so we certainly expected the system to be doing
other things.  Now we are trying to see how to split the load, in order to
boost performance enough to permit adding additional lines above our
current 72. - E.D.

Le Sam, 19 Avr 1997, John Nemeth =E9crivait :