[NatureNS] Great Horned Owl

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 22:28:21 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--000000000000a92f54059e57ba38

We have been hearing them both at the cottage in Avonport and at home near
Kentville. In both cases is hard to know whether there is 1 bird moving
around and calling or 2 birds. I think it's the former. In both places we,
or others have heard or seen them on and off over the last few years.  In
2017 and 2018 we heard them calling at home the night of the Wolfville CBC
but we couldn't make it a hat trick.

Richard Stern
sternrichard@gmail.com
(Sent from my Android device)

On Tue., Feb. 11, 2020, 9:12 p.m. Donna Crossland, <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
wrote:

> It would be fun to form some sort of auditory census for Great-horned owl
> nesting pairs right about now.  It's interesting to learn of just where
> they are nesting and whether they are increasing/decreasing.  The nocturnal
> owl survey takes care of this to some extent, but it would be interesting
> to learn more of their whereabouts, particularly close to towns, etc.
>

> Here's hoping that this 2nd apparently 'open winter' (I know that March
> can still surprise us) does not negatively affect Barred owl populations.
> Bernard Forsythe's report of last year's uncommonly low (nonexistent?)
> success rate for nesting Barred owls leaves us hoping this winter will be
> more productive.
>

> The yellow-breasted chat must be regretting its choices by now?
>

> Donna Crossland
>
> Tupperville
>

> On 2020-02-11 10:25 a.m., James Hirtle wrote:
>
> When I got out of work on Feb. 16 at 23:00 there was a great horned owl
> calling.  It sounded like it was somewhere in the vicinity of Woodland
> Gardens.  I was on Dufferin Street up over the hill from there.
>
> The yellow-breasted chat continues at Barbara McLeans in Lunenburg and a
> pine warbler has returned after quite an absence.
>
> James R. Hirtle
> LaHave

--000000000000a92f54059e57ba38

 and at home near Kentville. In both cases is hard to know whether there is=
 1 bird moving around and calling or 2 birds. I think it&#39;s the former. =
In both places we, or others have heard or seen them on and off over the la=
st few years.=C2=A0 In 2017 and 2018 we heard them calling at home the nigh=
t of the Wolfville CBC but we couldn&#39;t make it a hat trick.<br><br><div=
 data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><br>Richard Stern<br><a href=3D"mailto:=
sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>(Sent from my Android=
e"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue., Feb. 11, 2020, 9:12 p.m. =
Donna Crossland, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dcrossland@eastlink.ca">dcrossland@e=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
      Great-horned owl nesting pairs right about now.=C2=A0 It&#39;s intere=
sting
      to learn of just where they are nesting and whether they are
      increasing/decreasing.=C2=A0 The nocturnal owl survey takes care of
      this to some extent, but it would be interesting to learn more of
      their whereabouts, particularly close to towns, etc.=C2=A0 <br>
know that
      March can still surprise us) does not negatively affect Barred owl
      populations.=C2=A0 Bernard Forsythe&#39;s report of last year&#39;s u=
ncommonly
      low (nonexistent?) success rate for nesting Barred owls leaves us
      hoping this winter will be more productive.<br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
     =20
if;font-size:24pt">
          great horned owl calling.=C2=A0 It sounded like it was somewhere =
in
          the vicinity of Woodland Gardens.=C2=A0 I was on Dufferin Street =
up
          over the hill from there. =C2=A0</span></div>
if;font-size:24pt">
if;font-size:24pt">
          Lunenburg and a pine warbler has returned after quite an
          absence. =C2=A0</span></div>
if;font-size:24pt">
if;font-size:24pt">
if;font-size:24pt">