[NatureNS] Hate Changes To E-Bird

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 11:20:10 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Just a note to add to what Kevin mentioned about carrying an external
battery when using your cellphone in remote areas, or when you wish to
take a lot of photos, make sound recordings and record GPS waypoints,
etc..
Randy Fredericks and I have been doing a lot of surveying of flora and
fauna at the Corbett-Dalhousie Lake Peninsula forest.  We upload
everything into a project page which I created on iNaturalist.  I
bought a 20100mAh powerbank which we keep wired to Randy's cellphone
so that we can stay out for 3 or 4 hours at a time, shooting upwards
of 800 photos with geolocations and we rarely use much over  20
percent of the powerbank's full charge.  I use a late model iPad Pro
and it can go quite a few hours taking photos and making sound
recordings on it's own full charge so I don't need the powerbank.  For
field work when you are taking a lot of photos, making sound
recordings and doing geolocations, powerbanks really are a big help.
A 20100mAh is pretty large - probably weighs about a pound - but one
could easily get by with one of the smaller units for a couple of
hours of shooting photos - and it would fit in a typical coat pocket.

Bev Wigney
Round Hill, NS