[NatureNS] Does anyone know why a broad swath has been cleared on

From: Wanda Baxter <wandalynnbaxter@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 11:51:22 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000000000000c61b4105889dd12e

DOT cuts back forest edge to reduce collisions with wildlife. It's
excessive and not proven to make a difference, but it's standard practice.

NSPower is also cutting everything away from any powerline since getting
the go ahead from the UARB after the last major hurricane and power outage.
They are cutting 20 feet on either side of transmission (outside their
right of way) now with little explanation to landowners. I know because I
tried to get an explanation or paperwork. They took nearly 3 dozen healthy
trees from our property - off of maybe an acre across.

The cumulative loss of forest from both practices hasn't been assessed by
anyone prior to doing it.

Wanda

On Fri., May 10, 2019, 5:52 p.m. Bev Wigney, <bkwigney@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know about that particular spot, but out here in Annapolis
> County, the forest massacres are pretty much back in full swing as the
> springtime weight restrictions for trucks come off.  Pretty sad how
> the forests are going down so quickly, and right as birds are
> returning -- and, of course, it continues for the rest of the season
> even after the birds nest.   Yet another 416 hectares of forest in
> Annapolis County just announced to go on the chopping block.   Never
> ends.
>
> bev

--000000000000c61b4105889dd12e

ife. It&#39;s excessive and not proven to make a difference, but it&#39;s s=
lso cutting everything away from any powerline since getting the go ahead f=
rom the UARB after the last major hurricane and power outage. They are cutt=
ing 20 feet on either side of transmission (outside their right of way) now=
 with little explanation to landowners. I know because I tried to get an ex=
planation or paperwork. They took nearly 3 dozen healthy trees from our pro=
dir=3D"auto">The cumulative loss of forest from both practices hasn&#39;t b=
=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri., May 10, 2019, 5:52 p.m. Bev Wigney, =