[NatureNS] Does anyone know why a broad swath has been cleared on both sides of highway 101?

From: David Hughes <dghughes@bellaliant.net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 23:36:25 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;/di

--Apple-Mail-C98E1DF1-F5F6-4AAB-835B-87C73F4B9592

There aren=E2=80=99t any regular power lines along the twinned section of th=
e 101 between Sackville and Windsor. I looked at the western side of the hig=
hway between Drain Lake and the old landfill exit on Google Streetview. Ther=
e is a section with rock face that looks to be about 20 feet high. They have=
 even cut a strip at the top of that. There is no way a deer or anything is c=
oming off that onto the road. That section of the 101 also has great sun exp=
osure so that explanation also doesn=E2=80=99t seem to fit.

I have added a screenshot to a shared Dropbox folder if anyone want to have a=
 look. Hopefully it works.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ps3kirmzi4t173y/AAB-AxZLp4tCA3sMWp6dzI4Na?dl=3D0

David

Sent from my iPad

> On May 10, 2019, at 10:05 PM, James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Nova Scotia Power is crucifying bird habitat everywhere that you look.  At=
 least in Lunenburg County recently.  I understand protection to the lines, b=
ut it leaves huge tracks of clearcut.  It has left a lot of places where mig=
rants were plentiful and birds breed of which there will now be no more.  As=
 an example go to the entrance of the trail that was created to go out to th=
e Back Oler Farm Marsh in Garden Lots.  There was a nice forest canopy when y=
ou walked in off the road.  Now what remains is a rocks throw from the marsh=
.  I used to make a special trip there for migration and enjoyed seeing lots=
 of nesting species throughout the summer months, but now my trips there wil=
l be far fewer other than to view the marsh.
>=20
> Another spot is in Lilydale when you drive along the main drag from Frank'=
s Automotive to the intersection in Lilydale.  The nice grouping of hardwood=
s that were there are no more. I saw lots of birds along that stretch over t=
he years.  Numbers of breeding birds also.=20
alf of Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
> Sent: May 10, 2019 8:37 PM
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Does anyone know why a broad swath has been cleare=
d on both sides of highway 101?
> =20
> I don't know about that particular spot, but out here in Annapolis
> County, the forest massacres are pretty much back in full swing as the
> springtime weight restrictions for trucks come off.  Pretty sad how
> the forests are going down so quickly, and right as birds are
> returning -- and, of course, it continues for the rest of the season
> even after the birds nest.   Yet another 416 hectares of forest in
> Annapolis County just announced to go on the chopping block.   Never
> ends.
>=20
> bev
>=20
> 	Virus-free. www.avast.com

--Apple-Mail-C98E1DF1-F5F6-4AAB-835B-87C73F4B9592

r=3D"ltr"><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8">There aren=E2=80=99=
t any regular power lines along the twinned section of the 101 between Sackv=
ille and Windsor. I looked at the western side of the highway between Drain L=
ake and the old landfill exit on Google Streetview. There is a section with r=
ock face that looks to be about 20 feet high. They have even cut a strip at t=
he top of that. There is no way a deer or anything is coming off that onto t=
he road. That section of the 101 also has great sun exposure so that explana=
eenshot to a shared Dropbox folder if anyone want to have a look. Hopefully i=
mzi4t173y/AAB-AxZLp4tCA3sMWp6dzI4Na?dl=3D0">https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ps3ki=
"AppleMailSignature" dir=3D"ltr">Sent from my iPad</div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br=
>On May 10, 2019, at 10:05 PM, James Hirtle &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jrhbirder@=
ype=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">

">

olor: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Nova Scotia Power is crucifying bird habitat everywhere that you look.&nbsp;=
 At least in Lunenburg County recently.&nbsp; I understand protection to the=
 lines, but it leaves huge tracks of clearcut.&nbsp; It has left a lot of pl=
aces where migrants were plentiful and birds
 breed of which there will now be no more.&nbsp; As an example go to the ent=
rance of the trail that was created to go out to the Back Oler Farm Marsh in=
 Garden Lots.&nbsp; There was a nice forest canopy when you walked in off th=
e road.&nbsp; Now what remains is a rocks throw
 from the marsh.&nbsp; I used to make a special trip there for migration and=
 enjoyed seeing lots of nesting species throughout the summer months, but no=
w my trips there will be far fewer other than to view the marsh.</div>
olor: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
olor: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
Another spot is in Lilydale when you drive along the main drag from Frank's A=
utomotive to the intersection in Lilydale.&nbsp; The nice grouping of hardwo=
ods that were there are no more. I saw lots of birds along that stretch over=
 the years.&nbsp; Numbers of breeding
 birds also.&nbsp;</div>
olor: rgb(0, 0, 0);">