[NatureNS] The depths of winter

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 16:42:58 +0000

Hi Peter,
I know that you usefully put this out each year on NatureNS and it makes me very cheerful to hear it each time, but I’ve started looking more often at theweathernetwork.ca for Halifax, and also the related weather channel on the TV, which appears every 10 minutes.  On the latter, about the last frame that appears on each repetition shows the projected few days ahead but also depicts a white line for the ‘historical’ average.  The line is surprisingly lumpy (not that smooth) which suggests that it is perhaps the result of only a 10 or 20 year average and hasn’t been subjected to a smoothing function over several days either, or the bumps would have ironed out.