[NatureNS] Banded Morash pintail 2018

To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Laurie Ann Quigley <laq@eastlink.ca>
From: Paul Murray <pwmurray.murray911@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 10:29:30 -0400

v&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;div id=3D"AppleMail
--_B084AC53-8EF4-4E5A-A246-4011AF463E93_

Hi Ken,

WOW, that=E2=80=99s really good information and I very much appreciate your=
 feedback!   I too find it increases my interest 10 fold when a catch a ban=
ded bird.  The RBGU I got last year was purely accidental while taking shot=
s of the Bonaparte=E2=80=99s fishing at the first bridge on the SM Trail.  =
Just for the heck of it, I made a few shots of the RB Gull also diving for =
fish and did not realize =E2=80=98till I got home that he was banded.  Same=
 for the Piping Plovers at Conrad Beach.  It is lots of fun trying to find =
info from the bands/tags.  =20

You mention that the subject Pintail may have been banded by a friend in Co=
droy.  I love that area!  My wife and I stayed at a B&B in Codroy on our th=
ird trip to Newfoundland a couple of years ago.  I have toured almost the w=
hole coast of Newfoundland during our three trips there but I love the west=
 coast best.  I may be going back again this summer.=20

With regard to Piping Plovers, I thank you for your Guardianship.  I too lo=
ve them and whenever I get a chance to see them I=E2=80=99m =E2=80=9Con the=
 beach=E2=80=9D when the sun comes up.  A number of years ago we had a summ=
er place on Cape Cod, near Dennisport and I spent two breeding/fledging sea=
sons on a nearby beach watching and photographing 7 families of Piping Plov=
er adults and youngsters as they matured.  This Beach =E2=80=93 West Dennis=
 =E2=80=93 is a very large beach with a lot of summer traffic.  At the west=
 end of the beach there is a large sand dune covered with dune grass =E2=80=
=93 think Martinique Beach but smaller.  Usually there are 3 or 4 nest site=
s on the dune.  There is also a nesting Least Tern colony on the dune.  Loc=
al wildlife protection places snow fence around the tern colony and when th=
ey find the plover nest sites within they place a =E2=80=9Ccage=E2=80=9D ov=
er each nest site to keep the gulls, foxes, Coyotes, DOGS and PEOPLE out of=
 the area. They have to come and inspect the site daily because a lot of th=
e beachgoers couldn=E2=80=99t care less =E2=80=93 I=E2=80=99m sure you know=
 what I mean!  However, the nesting terns were a much better deterrent and =
I got to see their young as well!

Anyway, the first summer I had three families with probably 9 chicks hatche=
d and only a couple of fledged survivors. The second year I had 4 families =
with 11 chicks hatched but can=E2=80=99t be sure of survivor number =E2=80=
=93 I thought is was about 7 at time.  I used to get up at 0500 and sit on =
the wrack line quietly and wait for the birds to come out of the =E2=80=9Cc=
ompound=E2=80=9D to feed at the tide line.   The second year was the most i=
nteresting.  The length of beach I am talking about is about =C2=BC mile lo=
ng and I found that year that the four nesting pairs had divided the beachf=
ront  into four distinct areas and that they guarded their sections from th=
e other plovers fiercely.   Also, they came in a sequence spaced about a we=
ek apart I.e. the first family started at the western end then the second c=
ame in a week later to the east of the first pair.  Then the week tree pair=
 showed up followed a week later by the fourth pair who got the eastern mos=
t end of the beach (unfortunately that=E2=80=99s the closest end to the bea=
ch people)!

The beauty of this was It gave me the opportunity wo watch the maturation f=
rom hatch to fledging without having to set up camp!   That was a fantastic=
 two summers.

Best Regards,
Paul

P.S.  Just got an email from friend Laurie Ann Quigley that a friend of her=
s confirms =E2=80=9Cour=E2=80=9D Pintail was also observed at Todd=E2=80=99=
s Road St Margret=E2=80=99s Bay  and says =E2=80=9Cthat guy gets around=E2=
=80=9D lol

Sent from Mail for Windows 10