[NatureNS] Question about bird bodies

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 10:26:16 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--000000000000dfbdeb056ac056bf

Thanks Marg for thinking of me.

Gannets are well represented in the StFX collection. But since the topic
has come up, I may as well send my wish list, which I have done from time
to time via this venue (June 2015 was the last one, I think). Although
legally, no one is allowed to collect for me (well, unless you have a
permit), the meaning of the law is to prevent illegal trade (eagle feathers
would be more of a concern than those of egrets these days) or spread of
foreign species (thanks John for the info about the aldelgid). If you have
something that may be of interest to me, just fire me an email and we'll
arrange transport.

----------------------------

Firstly, thank you to many people both on and off this list for the
donations of bird specimens to the St. Francis Xavier collection over the
years. The collection continues to grow and my goal is to have an amalgam
of birds which truly represents the richness of the province=E2=80=99s bird=
s. I
want to point out that no bird was killed *for* the collection. Hunters
have killed ducks for their tables, and I have acquired the skulls from
some of these birds. Most birds though are acquired after being killed by
cats, cars or windows or succumbing to the elements. Specifically, and I
hope I'm not forgetting anyone here, the following people have contributed
a disproportionate amount to the collection: Ken McKenna, Tom Kavanaugh,
Stephen Bushell, Fritz McEvoy.

I was looking over the inventory of specimens recently and two things
jumped out at me.

The first is that I=E2=80=99ve got over 120 species of nesting bird represe=
nted
(about 180 breed in the province), and another 36 species, most of which
are migrants. The peacock and parrot were both pets and are examples of
some of the few which are not wild birds. There is a bias towards feeder
birds (Purple Finch is the #1 window kill) and charismatic birds (members
of the general public are more likely to pick up a road-injured hawk than a
similarly injured gull). The latest additions to represent new species for
our collection are a road-killed Virginia Rail (thanks Tom Kavanaugh) and
the recent Trumpeter Swan (currently being beetled, thank you Eric Mills,
Tony Millard). The bottom line is that there are many species still not
represented here.

The second thing that jumped out at me relates to the charismatic
birds=E2=80=A6there=E2=80=99s an irony in the StFX collection that is refle=
cted in uncommon
species being represented, but common ones still, after more than 20 years
collecting, are still not. Some donations of these species were too damaged
to incorporate into the collection.

I have no Canada Goose (or *any *goose), wigeon, or Gadwall. I have no
scaup or Bufflehead.  Hunters =E2=80=93 help! The heads are worth sending m=
(unless that=E2=80=99s where the pellets went). But I do have a Harlequin!

Pelagic birds are largely missing, though auks are reasonably represented
(Common Murre is the only one missing). I have fulmar, but need Shearwaters
and Skuas. I need all grebes and Wilson=E2=80=99s, but not Leach=E2=80=99s,=
 Storm-Petrels.
All terns and all winter gulls would be welcome.

I need all the southern herons/egrets except Cattle and Great. I need both
Night-Herons. Sandhill Crane would be nice.

I have all the breeding raptors (diurnal and nocturnal), but need any
migrant/vagrant.

Very few shorebirds are here; essentially any would be welcome.

I have plenty of Yellow-billed Cuckoos, but am missing our breeding
Black-billed.

I have Blue Grosbeak, but no Eastern Bluebird.

I have no Red-winged Blackbird, but I do have a Rusty.

In addition to those ironic misses, here are some other vacancies in the
collection:

I have no tanagers, wrens or GC Kinglet.

Flycatchers are almost non-existent in the collection (I have one each of
Kingbird, Yellow-bellied, Scissor-tailed and Alder).

I have several of the sparrows which routinely show up at feeders, but no
Swamp, Sharp-tailed, etc. No Snow Bunting, Tree or Chipping.

Birds still in the freezer do not appear in my inventory, so if you=E2=80=
=99ve
donated something I=E2=80=99ve listed as missing, rest assured it is likely=
 still
there. Please do let me know if you find something that may be of interest.
I can be reached at rlauff@stfx.ca.

Thank you!

Randy

_________________________________

RF Lauff

Way in the boonies of

Antigonish County, NS.

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--000000000000dfbdeb056ac056bf

 are well represented in the StFX collection. But since the topic has come =
up, I may as well send my wish list, which I have done from time to time vi=
a this venue (June 2015 was the last one, I think). Although legally, no on=
e is allowed to collect for me (well, unless you have a permit), the meanin=
g of the law is to prevent illegal trade (eagle feathers would be more of a=
 concern than those of egrets these days) or spread of foreign species (tha=
nks John for the info about the aldelgid). If you have something that may b=
e of interest to me, just fire me an email and we&#39;ll arrange transport.=

ze:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><span style=3D"font-size:11pt">Firs=
tly, thank you to many people both on and off this list
for the donations of bird specimens to the St. Francis Xavier collection ov=
er
the years. The collection continues to grow and my goal is to have an amalg=
am
of birds which truly represents the richness of the province=E2=80=99s bird=
s. I want to
point out that no bird was killed *for* the collection. Hunters have killed
ducks for their tables, and I have acquired the skulls from some of these
birds. Most birds though are acquired after being killed by cats, cars or
windows or succumbing to the elements. Specifically, and I hope I&#39;m not
forgetting anyone here, the following people have contributed a
disproportionate amount to the collection: Ken McKenna, Tom Kavanaugh, Step=
hen
Bushell, Fritz McEvoy.</span></p>

ze:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">I was looking over the inventory of=
 specimens recently and

ze:11pt;font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">The first is