[NatureNS] Turkey Vulture at Round Hill

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 19:16:52 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;/blockquote&g
It's probably the same group from Bridgetown, but I see them in the
afternoons here at Round Hill.  They fly out to the large poultry farm
which is located on Round Hill Lane just past the spot where the lane
crosses the brook at the base of the Pré Rond loop in the Annapolis
River.  They show up around the same time each day, so it's always
been my guess that maybe there is something of interest to them that
occurs around the same time of day at the farm.  They also drift
around over toward Bishop Park which is a little further toward
Annapolis Royal.

What is odd about the vulture I keep seeing here at Round Hill is that
it is almost always flying just a few feet above the ground and never
flies very far but for once in awhile when I see it flying low over my
place heading over toward or returning from the direction of the
poultry farm.  That's been going on for a few weeks now. I probably
first noticed it hanging around in early December.  It would often be
flapping around a bit outside my gate on 201 and seemed like it might
be roosting in the woods by the brook just across the highway from me
as it would always emerge from that spot.  The other day, a Crow
chased it out of the spruce trees along the brook.  My guess is that
it might be old or infirm and not really in good enough shape for
doing much flying, so it just stayed around when the rest of the usual
group departed to go elsewhere to spend the winter as I have not seen
any others around -- probably since November.  I wondered if it would
survive the winter, but so far it is hanging in.

Bev
Round Hill