[NatureNS] Multiflora Rose

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 12:52:31 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--94eb2c0949d059e7c9055f868bb5

It is always an irony that we choose not to see the link between our land
use -- clearcut without landscape planning, abandon agriculture wherever,
suburbanize wilderness, drain and burn forested swamps for new agriculture,
drive connector roads to save 15minutes-- and the repair of same by
human-adapted species..our camp or disturbance followers.

The bird dispersed shrubs from Europe or Asia are doing us a favour in the
short-term in this landscape of disturbance of our own making if we are
concerned about reducing erosion and nutrient flow to streams or if we want
to maintain birds and insects. The large scale of disruption and limited
conservation resources means that the exotics are on our side. Once the
ecosystem processes return to former states of forest canopy, we can then
tinker with thoughts that we'd prefer hobblebush or wild raisin or fly
honeysuckle; until then can randomizers be choosers?

We can do 2 things. We can be thankful that glossy buckthorn or multiflora
or rugosa rose are trying to move succession from herbaceous to woody
stages over wide swaths of former agriculture or in third generations of
rapid clearcuts.. glossy an emerging issue in clearcut forestry so spray
it?..AND in focussed areas such as riverbank or on edges of intact forest
we can plant the natives we feel are being squeezed out of this disturbance
landscape.
The exotic shrubs are the messengers that our natives cannot keep pace w
the scale of the disturbance. Dont shoot them. Listen to them and let's
petition  the province to take a landscape level of planning to
biodiversity maintenance in a time of rapid climate change.

We blame exotics..
What about landscape management that does not consider ecological processes?
Nick

On Dec 4, 2017 12:09 PM, "Marg Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> So it is introduced and is taking over but as the climates change birds
> are changing their visiting patterns and they seem to visit these bushes.
> At least here. So they are part of the problem, if they eat and travel,
> they spread the food they need behind them, no? Marg, not of a science
> background so am really confused about this.

> It would be great if this introduced plant would be eradicated. Let native
> plants feed the birds.
>
> Randy

--94eb2c0949d059e7c9055f868bb5

between our land use -- clearcut without landscape planning, abandon agricu=
lture wherever, suburbanize wilderness, drain and burn forested swamps for =
new agriculture, drive connector roads to save 15minutes-- and the repair o=
f same by=C2=A0 human-adapted species..our camp or disturbance followers.<d=
/div><div dir=3D"auto">The bird dispersed shrubs from Europe or Asia are do=
ing us a favour in the short-term in this landscape of disturbance of our o=
wn making if we are concerned about reducing erosion and nutrient flow to s=
treams or if we want to maintain birds and insects. The large scale of disr=
uption and limited conservation resources means that the exotics are on our=
 side. Once the ecosystem processes return to former states of forest canop=
y, we can then tinker with thoughts that we&#39;d prefer hobblebush or wild=
 raisin or fly honeysuckle; until then can randomizers be choosers?</div><d=
hankful that glossy buckthorn or multiflora or rugosa rose are trying to mo=
ve succession from herbaceous to woody stages over wide swaths of former ag=
riculture or in third generations of rapid clearcuts.. glossy an emerging i=
ssue in clearcut forestry so spray it?..AND in focussed areas such as river=
bank or on edges of intact forest we can plant the natives we feel are bein=
g squeezed out of this disturbance landscape.</div><div dir=3D"auto">The ex=
otic shrubs are the messengers that our natives cannot keep pace w the scal=
e of the disturbance. Dont shoot them. Listen to them and let&#39;s petitio=
n=C2=A0 the province to take a landscape level of planning to biodiversity =
 landscape management that does not consider ecological processes?</div><di=
ail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Dec 4, 2017 12:09 PM, &quot;Ma=
rg Millard&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mmillard@eastlink.ca">mmillard@eastl=
ink.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_qu=
ote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex=
">
=20
introduced and is taking over but as the climates change birds are changing=
=20
their visiting patterns and they seem to visit these bushes. At least here.=
 So=20
they are part of the problem, if they eat and travel, they spread the food =
they=20
need behind them, no? Marg, not of a science background so am really confus=
ed=20
 be=20
great if this introduced plant would be eradicated. Let native plants feed =
the=20

--94eb2c0949d059e7c9055f868bb5--