[NatureNS] Bird Friendly Coffee

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Doug Linzey <doug@fundymud.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 00:28:16 -0300

Y29mZmVlIHRvIHRoZXNlIG5ldyBidXNpbmVzc2VzLg0KSm9obg0KD
I'm not sure that regular organic, shade-grown coffee is significantly
less bird-friendly than any other. (I don't have a problem with people
insisting on certified bird-friendly, but let's face it, we're talking a
pretty small cohort, and an even smaller supply.) This seems to me to
fall into much the same category as a desire here in Nova Scotia to have
only certified organic food on our tables -- it's just not practical on
anything more than a small scale.

As for the organic food, I find myself happy to know and buy from
farmers who practice organic methods but who find the certification
process too onerous and financially impractical (this is not uncommon
here). I would rather buy veggies in season from a farmer I know and
trust than from some "certified-organic" megafarm in Texas (as so many
people I know do exclusively).

I had the pleasure last year of visiting a coffee and mixed-crop farmer
in the Nicaraguan cloud forest. He (with wife & daughter) is certified
organic, and frankly, his coffee plants are in as bird-friendly an
environment as I could imagine. But what with the challenges of trying
to remain organic in an area with neighbours mostly relying on
non-organic potatoes for their livelihood and the leaf fungus that has
afflicted much of the coffee in the cloud forests of Central America,
it's unlikely that he'll ever be certified bird-friendly. I don't care,
as long as I'm assured that the growing methods are /in fact/ bird friendly.

For the record, my visit to the Nicaraguan coffee plantation and the
Miraflor conservation area was through a contact made via Just Us!
Coffee. The Just Us! folks do visit and know all their suppliers, so a
conversation with them might allay fears that their products might not
be as bird-friendly as you would prefer. (Also for the record, my go-to
coffee is organic & freely traded from Java Blend.)

It seems to me that the most important thing we can do for birds is to
preserve and improve the breeding habitat here in Nova Scotia. Many of
the birds I saw in Central America were simply Canadian snowbirds who
depend mostly on suitable breeding habitat when they return here in the
spring. It's nice to think we're doing something positive for a bird in
coffee country by insisting on good living conditions there, but it's
got to be just as, if not more, important to be bird-friendly in our own
back yards.

Doug Linzey
(encouraging my 25+ acres of Acadian Forest to aspire to its former
glory and become increasingly wildlife-friendly)