[NatureNS] Thread-Index: AQHS9bUf8T0mnd+GDEmawxjWrSaVBQ==

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 16:02:50 -0300

Chris,
An easy way to learn is to understand the logic behind the codes:
One word names are the first four letters in the name, e.g., BOBO for
Bobolink
Two-word names are the first two letters of the words, e.g., AMRO for
American Robin
Two-word hyphenated names are the first letters of the hyphenated word and
the first two letters of the non-hyphenated; e.g., YRWA for Yellow-rumped
Warbler
Three-word hyphenated names are the first letter of all words, e.g., GBBG
for Great Black-backed Gull
Now you have just have to learn the exceptions, e.g., BTNW for
Black-throated Green Warbler (and not BTGW for Black-throated Gray Warbler)
or HERG for Herring Gull.
John