[NatureNS] Dartmouth Cove and Ferry Terminal Today

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 21:42:16 -0400
From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

t&g
--089e01184e4c006100052c7a2da5

6 or 7 years ago I  could drive the roads along the Fundy Shore in winter,
e.g Margaretsville, Parker's Cove etc., and there would be streams of
eiders, scoters , Long-tailed.ducks, Red-breated mergansers and small
numbers of Harlequin ducks going by all along the coast all day. For the
last 2-3 years you'd be lucky to see even a few ducks anywhere along that
coast. Even the eiders around Brier Island all year round are nothing like
what they used to be. The numbers can be seen on CBC reports. Alcids, loons
and other coastal wintering seabirds still seem to be present in
traditional numbers. I don't have any explanation. The amount of icing
along that coast is virtually nil most of the winter, and hasn't  changed
as long as I can remember. I suspect it's something to do with the food
supply. Perhaps "our" sea ducks are over in the Great Lakes feeding on
zebra mussels or something. Perhaps there have been breeding failures
farther north and west, etc.

Richard

--
Richard stern
Sent from Gmail Mobile

--089e01184e4c006100052c7a2da5

6 or 7 years ago I =C2=A0could drive the roads along the Fundy Shore in win=
ter, e.g=C2=A0Margaretsville, Parker&#39;s Cove etc., and there would be st=
reams of eiders, scoters=C2=A0, Long-tailed.ducks,=C2=A0Red-breated mergans=
ers and small numbers of Harlequin ducks going by=C2=A0all along the coast =
all day. For the last 2-3 years you&#39;d be lucky to see even a few ducks =
anywhere along that coast. Even the eiders around Brier Island all year rou=
nd are nothing like what they used to be. The numbers can be seen=C2=A0on C=
BC reports.=C2=A0Alcids, loons and other coastal=C2=A0wintering seabirds st=
ill seem to be present in traditional numbers. I don&#39;t have any explana=
ti