[NatureNS] Dartmouth Cove and Ferry Terminal Today

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 21:18:12 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;d

--Apple-Mail-37F9FFDE-A653-4818-BE1B-40023802068B

Hi Fritz and all=20
I think the rather warm winter might be a large factor in that waterfowl fro=
m further north were not displaced like usual with lack of freeze-up. Here i=
n Pictou Co for instance, the Pictou Harbour has been pretty much open save f=
or a couple of 2-3 day periods where a light skim of ice developed. I can't e=
ver remember a winter that this has happened=20
Recently I re-read the introduction to Eric Holdways "Birds of the Pictou Ar=
ea, Nova Scotia A Ten-year Survey 1957-1966".  In his introduction Eric, who=
 was captain of one of the Caribou-Wood Islands ferries describes "Pictou an=
d Caribou harbours are often ice-bound temporarily after mid-December before=
 the winter ice sets hard from January to March. The extreme limits of perma=
nent winter ice were: 14 December 1958 and  17 April 1965, the adjacent sea f=
rom a week to three weeks later."=20
I actually remember when I first moved to Pictou Co. in the late 70's cars u=
sed to have races on the ice. ( I also think maybe there were tragic break-t=
hroughs). There is no way this could be attempted the last number of years a=
nd in this year there has been no hard  set of ice at all.=20
The waterfowl  numbers in the area this year are the lowest in numbers that I=
 can remember since I have been counting but here we depend on freeze up con=
centrating the waterfowl into small areas such as the spillway of the Pictou=
 Causeway or the outflow of the NSPC in Trenton.  I think the waterfowl just=
 did not arrive here or they are scattered in the open waters further north.=
 The numbers on the Pictou Hbr. CBC were down considerably this year.=20
Cheers=20
Ken

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 23, 2016, at 8:11 PM, Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com> wrote:=

>=20
> Hi All,
>=20
>     I'm not a resident of Halifax, so may be way off base here, but I wond=
er if the new sewage treatment plant and the resulting lack of a raw sewage o=
utflow pipes might be part of the reason for the decline of ducks in Halifax=
 Harbour?
alf of Pat McKay <pat.mckay@gmail.com>
> Sent: February 23, 2016 4:43 PM
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Dartmouth Cove and Ferry Terminal Today
> =20
> It has been my experience too, that ducks have been in short supply in the=
 harbour this winter - at least as far as I can see from my home in Admiralt=
y Place. However, I did have a pair of Surf Scoters on Sunday - a new specie=
s for my yard list!
>=20
> Pat McKay
>=20
>> On 23 February 2016 at 15:30, Rick Ballard <ideaphore@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I saw a flock of about 20 Common Eiders a few days ago, swimming off the N=
avy Dockyard.
>> I've been seeing only the odd Black Guillemot from the Alderney ferry. Th=
ey like to hang out in the middle of the Harbour.
>>=20
>>> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 3:10 PM, chris kennedy <cjkennedy66@gmail.com> w=
rote:
>>> I took the Woodside Ferry yesterday at 530pm and noted 9 Black Guillemot=
s and 6 Red-breasted Merganser.
>>>=20
>>> I've created an eBird location for both the Harbour Ferries, should anyo=
ne else wish to add them to their eBird locations.
>>>=20
>>> -Chris Kennedy in Dartmouth
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> --=20
>> Rick Ballard=20
>> Dartmouth,Nova Scotia, Canada=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-37F9FFDE-A653-4818-BE1B-40023802068B

"AppleMailSignature">I think the rather warm winter might be a large factor i=
n that waterfowl from further north were not displaced like usual with lack o=
f freeze-up. Here in Pictou Co for instance, the Pictou Harbour has been pre=
tty much open save for a couple of 2-3 day periods where a light skim of ice=
 developed. I can't ever remember a winter that this has happened&nbsp;</div=
oldways "Birds of the Pictou Area, Nova Scotia A Ten-year Survey 1957-1966".=
 &nbsp;In his introduction Eric, who was captain of one of the Caribou-Wood I=
slands ferries describes "Pictou and Caribou harbours are often ice-bound te=
mporarily after mid-December before the winter ice sets hard from January to=
 March. The extreme limits of permanent winter ice were: 14 December 1958 an=
d &nbsp;17 April 1965, the adjacent sea from a week to three weeks later."&n=
bsp;</div><div id=3D"AppleMailSignature">I actually remember when I first mo=
ved to Pictou Co. in the late 70's cars used to have races on the ice. ( I a=
lso think maybe there were tragic break-throughs). There is no way this coul=
d be attempted the last number of years and in this year there has been no h=
ard &nbsp;set of ice at all.&nbsp;</div><div id=3D"AppleMailSignature">The w=
aterfowl &nbsp;numbers in the area this year are the lowest in numbers that I=
 can remember since I have been counting but here we depend on freeze up con=
centrating the waterfowl into small areas such as the spillway of the Pictou=
 Causeway or the outflow of the NSPC in Trenton. &nbsp;I think the waterfowl=
 just did not arrive here or they are scattered in the open waters further n=
orth. The numbers on the Pictou Hbr. CBC were down considerably this year.&n=
 Feb 23, 2016, at 8:11 PM, Fritz McEvoy &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fritzmcevoy@ho=
ype=3D"cite"><div>