[NatureNS] Re: star-nosed moles

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 08:53:11 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1140a562bd29a9052a3c2c09

But Nick, something so preventable, and easily preventable...to save so
much wildlife.

It is not silly.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 26 January 2016 at 08:34, Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> contain them so not to get run over or ate. I don't believe people think
>> about them be eaten though.
>>

>> Housecats are a problem in the rural areas, the same as they are anywher=
>> else. A roaming cat kills no matter where it resides.  I know of two
>> different houses that have about 15 cats each, lovely, just xxxxxxx love=
ly.
>> The best way to get rid of mice is to trap them, rats too. Cats will not
>> tacke full grown rats, seen them run from them, baby rats maybe. Educati=
on
>> and law is what is needed. It seems there is some sort of left over scar=
>> from the black plague to allow cats to roam and kill at will. Be known t=
hat
>> the cats just spread the plague further by hosting fleas.
>>

>> It is past time to make it law to contain your pets, all pets, no
>> exceptions. Only then will this problem be solved and not until.
>>

>> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

>> On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 17:27:59 -0400, David Currie <
>> david_currie@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> We sometimes get caught up with the estimated numbers quoted from EC or
>> others as being totally accurate for some reason, though always expresse=
>> in an estimate or within a certain range. I don=E2=80=99t have to tell t=
his group
>> that science is based on fact with those facts extrapolated to give us s=
ome
>> idea. Cod numbers, seal numbers, feral cat numbers etc. to make a
>> comparison.  Is the number of birds really that important other than it=
=E2=80=99 a
>> lot and getting worse as free-roaming  cats increase? Don=E2=80=99t we t=
hink that
>> if we lose 350 million or 100 or 70 million land birds/small animals to
>> cats in Canada a year, it=E2=80=99s too many when we can avoid it? Do we=
 always
>> have to complain about collisions, habitat destruction etc. to lessen th=
>> guilt we have about our pet cat?
>>
>> This is a human issue of attitude and it is important that we become mor=
>> responsible for our cats as we have with dogs. Cats are doing what they =
are
>> built to hunt extremely effectively and we are contributing to aiding an
>> invasive species that has a direct impact on our natural wildlife.
>> Relegating our pet cats to the house doesn=E2=80=99t mean a life in the =
closet, and
>> from what I understand from my friends, it develops a better =E2=80=9Cpe=
>> experience=E2=80=9D where they are not killed, shot at, poisoned, scarre=
d or lost.
>> On the wildlife side, we humans need to take some responsibility here an=
>> quit hiding behind the , my cat is =E2=80=9Ctoo old=E2=80=9D, =E2=80=9Ct=
oo fat=E2=80=9D, =E2=80=9Cdoesn=E2=80=99t climb
>> trees=E2=80=9D, is a =E2=80=9Cbush cat=E2=80=9D, (I=E2=80=99ve heard tha=
t one) and =E2=80=9Cnever brings anything

span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fernhillns@gmail.com" target=3D"_bla=