[NatureNS] Vancouver has new "bird strategy"

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 22:12:24 -0400
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

to tell this group that science is based on fact with thos
--001a11427114c0e63b052a1f1a1a

folks,
I agree that anecdotes will not get us very far on this one, since most of
the impacts from cats go unwitnessed by us day to day.

For anyone interested in seeing the research these national estimates are
based on, it's open source and can be found here:
http://www.ace-eco.org/issues/view.php?sf=3D4 (or by using the search terms=
:
'quantifying human related mortality of birds in Canada').

The paper on *Felis catus* is here*: *http://www.ace-eco.org/vol8/iss2/art3=
/
(or use this search term: 'Estimated Number of Birds Killed by House Cats
(Felis catus) in Canada')

True, forest loss and fragmentation, and climate change are not included in
these comparisons, but despite that, it is good to know what '196 million
birds' (estimated annual mortality from owned + feral cats) actually looks
like to see if it is worth our time. If we don't really have a good sense
of what '196 million birds' is, or, think that it is a negligible amount
then it's easy to pass off.

Take a look at some population estimates for our Canadian birds here in the
Partners in Flight Population Estimates database:
http://rmbo.org/pifpopestimates/Database.aspx (Canada column). Details on
methods of deriving these estimates can be found here:
http://rmbo.org/pifpopestimates/About.aspx.

For context, here's how 196 million annual mortalities lines up to PIF
Canadian population estimates for various species (clearly, some species
would be more vulnerable than others):

PIF Canadian population estimates for some NS species of concern...
Tree Swallow - 7.6 (M)illion
Barn Swallow - 5 M
Chimney Swift - 0.08 M
Common Nighthawk - 0.9 M

PIF Canadian population estimates for some species nesting near the ground
in my neighbourhood:
American Robin - 140 M
Black-capped Chickadee - 20 M
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 13 M
Gray Catbird - 3.6 M
Great-crested Flycatcher - 0.59 M
Northern Cardinal - 0.5 M

(now we're at 191 M...)

As the authors of the above paper point out, this is also just the tip of
the cat-impact iceberg: *"Because most bird species in Canada are
migratory, including most species that are potentially vulnerable to cat
predation, many birds will be subject to additional cat predation after
they leave Canada, particularly as they migrate through and/or winter in
the U.S., where numbers of pet cats and especially feral cats are much
higher. Thus the proportion of Canada=E2=80=99s birds killed by cats will b=
e higher
than estimated above using predation rates in Canada alone."*

james

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 4:01 PM, John and Nhung <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>
wrote:

> I agree that predation is an important selection pressure, but if various
> pressures on a population are so high that the population doesn=E2=80=99t=
 have time
> to respond, aren=E2=80=99t we looking at extirpation or extinction?

ndow-collision-animals-science/