[NatureNS] Vancouver has new "bird strategy"

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=208.103.231.40; helo=D58WQPH1; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 21:44:06 -0400

taken yet) but the population of these animal

------=_NextPart_000_0513_01D156F0.598C1EF0

Hi David C. & All,                        Jan 24, 2016
    Not being a birder I am on thin ice here but is it not correct that =
birds which commonly feed on the ground would be most susceptible to =
predation by cats (such as Pidgins and Starlings) whereas birds which =
seldom land on the ground to feed should be least affected by cats (such =
as Swifts, Warblers and Swallows) ?

    Are the above ground feeders (Pidgins and Starlings) in drastic =
decline while all the examples who feed above ground (Swifts, Warblers, =
and Swallows) are doing just fine ?  I would have guessed it was the =
other way around which, if correct, would demonstrate that cat predation =
is a non-issue.

    And you are going out on an extremely weak limb if you suggest that =
cat predation trumps habitat. I am sure you must know better; habitat is =
the foundation upon which life rests.=20

    Cats which are turned loose, probably because their owners can't =
afford to feed them, can't find an affordable apartment which allows =
pets, have to move... is an entirely different matter. Fixing them and =
turning them loose is also a non-solution.=20
    People who did not grow up seeing animals killed are reluctant to =
condone it. It is all part of the 'lets control the seal population by =
giving them contraceptive pills'  or let's give the Terns a break and =
control Gull populations by hiring people to make distracting noises =
whenever a Gull starts to mount a female school of "thought".=20
    This isolation of many humans from reality is sad but don't blame =
cats for that.

   And in review; if two three letter words (CAT and ATV) can generate =
all this traffic can you imagine what a four letter word (CATV) might =
do.

It is way past my bedtime.
DW, Kentville

   =20