[NatureNS] Vancouver has new "bird strategy"

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 12:05:54 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

only once and it t
--001a1134d43c8b7387052a16a0b9

I agree with Darrell. Having a pet means being responsible for its actions,
and cats bring home only 24% of what they nab. The others are left at the
capture  site or eaten. They kill 100s of millions of birds in Canada
yearly, including species at risk. If any group on here would like a
presentation on the science of the bird/ cat issue and ways to keep both
safe...let me know. I personally see at my rehabilitation centre the
devastation of outdoor  cats on birds. ..including a nighthawk with a brood
patch that the owners saw their cat rip one wing off of before I then had
to euthanize the bird. Disclaimer...I love cats and have one. ..she is 100%
indoors.
Helene
Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre