[NatureNS] Photo site "PBase.com"

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:47:21 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

ank"&gt;pbase.com&lt;/a&gt; this morning and found something completel

--Apple-Mail=_FE43A1D6-9A39-4FC2-B9AC-A4D756DDCB08

All,

I had checked a couple of photography forums this morning (DPReview, =
etc) and people in different parts of the world were seeing different =
things when they went to their Pbase accounts.  in any case, I just =
checked an my Round Hill Moths gallery is back up online.=20
I do agree with what John just mentioned about backing stuff up.  Aside =
from what is in my iMac (my whole nature photo collection), I keep 3 =
hard drives at 2 locations.  if you're serious about your photos, then I =
think it's important to not only back up, but store your work in a =
couple of places in the event of some catastrophe.  At the price of a =
drives such as the Western Digital "My Passport", there's not much =
excuse for not keeping at least a couple of drives around. =20
What seems more difficult to me is to keep an active system of =
organizing photos somewhere - online - so that you have them available =
for reference, and can share images with others.  I've been using Pbase =
for many years - going back to around 2003.  If the service ever went =
"poof", I'd still have my photos in the drives, but the work that I put =
into forming galleries, labelling everything, etc.. would all be gone.  =
I do have iPhoto and can notate everything, but it's not really the =
answer either.  I'm not sure that there actually is a solution to some =
of these problems.  The best thing is probably to acknowledge that just =
about anything could disappear, so it's good to figure out ways to =
protect your data - both on and offline.

regards,
Bev Wigney
Round Hill, NS

On 2015-08-11, at 11:25 AM, John and Nhung <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca> =
wrote:

> I wonder if there=92s a lesson here about backing stuff up =
=93off-cloud.=94
> =20
> Seems sometimes as if the more sophisticated we get, the more =
vulnerable to surprises we become.