[NatureNS] wind turbines

From: bev wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 09:54:25 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-A4929153-03C9-439B-A568-1FB3D49E30F2

Regarding turbines, I have no idea what is planned for Nova Scotia, but it s=
eems likely that we will soon know the impact of turbines in general.  I hav=
e been crossing the US each spring and autumn for 7 years now.  The number o=
f turbines in Texas and Oklahoma has been quickly rising.  The greatest leap=
 in numbers that I have seen as yet, seems to have occurred between last aut=
umn and this spring along I-40, east and west of Amarillo, TX and well into w=
estern Oklahoma.  There are now many hundreds of turbines along I-40 - close=
 and off into the distance to the vanishing point on the horizon.  If the tu=
rbines pose a hazard to migrating birds, this wide band stretching a good hu=
ndred or more miles, should eventually give us the data.  I thought as much a=
s I passed by, especially as I noted many more turbines going up, and the de=
nsity of the fields seems greater in more recent installations.  Also, there=
 is now very litlle area without turbines through that stretch.  =20

What may be just as worrisome as turbines are the solar concentrators which a=
re proving to be destructive as they ignite birds and insects flying near th=
e towers.  Also birds that are killed as they come down atop solar panel ins=
tallations - being tricked into thinking these are shallow playa lakes as fo=
und in the desert.  All of this is being closely watched by environmental gr=
oups in the southwest.  The solar concentrators seem to be the most contenti=
ous at the moment.  Video footage of igniting birds in mid-flight doesn't pl=
ay well to those who have concerrns about these installations.

bev wigney
Round Hill, NS
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-A4929153-03C9-439B-A568-1FB3D49E30F2

 no idea what is planned for Nova Scotia, but it seems likely that we will s=
oon know the impact of turbines in general. &nbsp;I have been crossing the U=
S each spring and autumn for 7 years now. &nbsp;The number of turbines in Te=
xas and Oklahoma has been quickly rising. &nbsp;The greatest leap in numbers=
 that I have seen as yet, seems to have occurred between last autumn and thi=
s spring along I-40, east and west of Amarillo, TX and well into western Okl=
ahoma. &nbsp;There are now many hundreds of turbines along I-40 - close and o=
ff into the distance to the vanishing point on the horizon. &nbsp;If the tur=
bines pose a hazard to migrating birds, this wide band stretching a good hun=
dred or more miles, should eventually give us the data. &nbsp;I thought as m=
uch as I passed by, especially as I noted many more turbines going up, and t=
he density of the fields seems greater in more recent installations. &nbsp;A=
lso, there is now very litlle area without turbines through that stretch. &n=
s are the solar concentrators which are proving to be destructive as they ig=
nite birds and insects flying near the towers. &nbsp;Also birds that are kil=
led as they come down atop solar panel installations - being tricked into th=
inking these are shallow playa lakes as found in the desert. &nbsp;All of th=
is is being closely watched by environmental groups in the southwest. &nbsp;=
The solar concentrators seem to be the most contentious at the moment. &nbsp=