[NatureNS] wind turbines

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 09:57:42 -0300

Thanks Keith. I was/am curious. This is a not an attack on turbines.  I
wonder if there is an attempt to try to get around the problem.
I know about office towers damage first hand as when I went early to work on
Jasper Avenue, there were maintenance people out sweeping up wheelbarrow
load of birds from the sidewalks all along the avenue. This was day after
day during migration.
Our Tower was not really that tall and the man with the rake and shovel I
approached about it said there were lots more around the taller buildings. I
wondered if it was so bad because we are at the top of the hill along the
river valley.
I know cats are bad. My cats stay in and I do my best to try and convince
others to do the same.
Marg
I'll see if I can find a link later but I read an article last week about
man-made causes of bird deaths in North America. It claimed 200,000,000
birds are killed by outside cats each year in North America and 23,000 birds
are killed by wind turbines (.001% of cat deaths). Office building were also
far more deadly for birds than wind turbines but not as much as cats.

Keith Lowe