[NatureNS] Wood Turtle: long

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:54:27 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_328E_01CF94A5.7B740730

Hi Fred & All,                                June 30, 2014
    Unless someone actually recorded the number of turtles removed or at =
least a respectable sample of removal there is no valid reason to assume =
removal to be the cause of decrease. Or even a valid reason to assume =
that a significant number were removed.=20
    Other changes might have taken place concurrently. The =
characteristics of that water, if sampled, might provide a clue. BTW =
water low in alkalinity is very poorly buffered so if site also had high =
pH and low alkalinity then it would be unusually vulnerable to =
acidification by acid rain.=20
    Removing 15% of turtles from a watershed year after year until they =
were gone is not realistic. How does one proceed to remove that last few =
percent ? Capturing a constant percentage of the original population =
year after year would require greatly enhanced collecting effort with =
time. A constant decrease over time suggests a population that, due to =
some degradation of the environment such as acid rain, was not =
reproducing. A reproducing population should have compensated for =
removal (a type of predation) by increasing egg count per female.
    Some years ago I was on a Lep site and one long post related how =
collecting had been 'conclusively' tied to extirpation of a rare Lep. =
Someone found a glassine envelope, no rare Lep on site and jumped to a =
conclusion which was soon spread widely as documented fact. Fortunately =
someone had the good sense to check across the road where an artillery =
range tended to start fires and retain the open habitat and Carex that =
this Lep needed. The Lep had just moved where it could continue to have =
access to this Carex.=20

Yt, DW
   =20
   =20