[NatureNS] Wood Thrush reported, Kings county

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:31:33 -0300
To: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Cc: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

--e89a8ff1cece72629d04e2ab8b6d

Hi folks,

I think the difference here, as Blake Maybank pointed out earlier in the
season, is that the reports processed and returned by the BirdTrax gadget
on the site are *raw observations*. Some get flagged and are subject to
review before they are officially posted on the eBird.ca site.

If you click the '+' symbol beside the report on the BirdTrax gadget you
will see the status of the report (for the WOTH it is described as "rare:
pending review"; whereas for American Black Duck is says "accepted"). In
this window you can also choose to click on "open eBird checklist" to see
the checklist Andy provided the link for. I don't believe the record will
show up on the eBird site until the observation has been reviewed and this
status will then also say "accepted". Others likely know more than me about
this review process.

I would say these gadgets are good for providing closer-to-real-time
reports than the eBird site, but at the same time are, by nature, subject
to erroneous reports. Fortunately you can use this ancillary information to
help judge whether it is worth the trek to find it.

A very small percentage of our NS sightings make it to eBird (beyond
naturens and NS-RBA), but some of the more interesting ones seem to only
make it to eBird.

Arguable whether this requires a solution, but one could be that we create
a web application for NS bird sightings much like that used for Ontario
Field Ornithologists (who even have a downloadable app and sightings are
automatically linked to, stored in eBird I believe). I think with a $5K
grant we could do it.

cheers,
James.

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--e89a8ff1cece72629d04e2ab8b6d

e, as Blake Maybank pointed out earlier in the season, is that the reports =
processed and returned by the BirdTrax gadget on the site are <b>raw observ=
ations</b>. Some get flagged and are subject to review before they are offi=
cially posted on the eBird.ca site.=A0</div>

n the BirdTrax gadget you will see the status of the report (for the WOTH i=
t is described as &quot;rare: pending review&quot;; whereas for American Bl=
ack Duck is says &quot;accepted&quot;). In this window you can also choose =
to click on &quot;open eBird checklist&quot; to see the checklist Andy prov=
ided the link for. I don&#39;t believe the record will show up on the eBird=
 site until the observation has been reviewed and this status will then als=
o say &quot;accepted&quot;. Others likely know more than me about this revi=
ew process.</div>

-to-real-time reports than the eBird site, but at the same time are, by nat=
ure, subject to erroneous reports. Fortunately you can use this ancillary i=
nformation to help judge whether it is worth the trek to find it.=A0</div>

eBird (beyond naturens and NS-RBA), but some of the more interesting ones s=
s requires a solution, but one could be that we create a web application fo=
r NS bird sightings much like that used for Ontario Field Ornithologists (w=
ho even have a downloadable app and sightings are automatically linked to, =
stored in eBird I believe). I think with a $5K grant we could do it.</div>

 class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Richard Stern <span=
 dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank=

ks - interesting. But how do I get to thAt checklist on my own?</div><div><=
br>

=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Andrew Horn <span dir=3D"=