[NatureNS] re ticks - how to avoid them?

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:05:38 -0300

Hi Dave P. & All,                        Apr 28, 2013
    Just so there is no misunderstanding, I had my pant legs outside of my
rubber boots to keep sawdust out when chunking wood and rolled them up so I
was less likely to trip in brush when carrying long-lengths to the saw.
    But the technique apparently is a good way to capture and nourish ticks,
provided you just flick sawdust off as the pantleg is unrolled and then tuck
it into a sock before any captured tick has a chance to fall off.
    When wearing lace-up boots I tuck my pant legs into socks, especially if
walking in vegetated areas. I always wear a cap during tick season and, in
warm weather, strip to the waist. It is more comfortable and anything that
falls on a bare back will likely get brushed off whereas anything that falls
on a shirt or down a shirt collar may get carried home, perhaps getting dug
in meanwhile.
    I am not aware of any fool-proof method of avoiding ticks but have read
that Deet will repel them and would try Deep Woods if faced with high
incidence rates. I have found ticks in the car a week after having last been
in the woods or vegetation so how can one hope for 100% exclusion ?
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville