[NatureNS] dead murrs and commorants

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 18:40:30 -0400
From: Dominic Cormier <dominic.cormier@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--f46d04479f11afe4a004d5f34bfe

To add to the dead birds, there was a dead bird sp. floating in the arm
this afternoon, though I could not id it with my bins. I would think Rick
is correct in speculating that the storm may be the cause of death of a
large number of seabirds.

Dominic

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Rick Whitman <
dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no idea about the salmon, but wouldn't we look at the winter
> hurricane (160 km/hr at Yarmouth, I believe) last Saturday, Feb. 9th ?
> This was as bad as it ever gets, with temps below freezing even in SW
> NS. I would not be surprised that seabirds are not equal to these
> horrible conditions.
>
> Rick Whitman
>
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Andy Moir/Christine Callaghan
> <slickdog1@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Forgot to sign the first version of this:
> > Had this reported to us today from the wife of a local lobster fisherman:
> >
> >   "Fishermen are reporting finding salmon in their lobster traps in St.
> > Mary's Bay and also many many dead seabirds floating on the water...
> Mostly
> > Murr's and Cormorants. No apparent wounds on the birds... One boat
> reported
> > counting over 25 dead seabirds today, this is something never seen
> before in
> > the bay... We will attempt to determine what may have happened to these
> > birds....please if anyone fishing comes across anything out of the
> ordinary
> > bring it ashore and contact me...."
> >
> > Who can perform tests on these dead birds to determine what killed
> > them...there are several that have been collected and stored in a
> freezer?
> >

> > Andy Moir
> >
> > Freeport, Long Island, Digby County

--f46d04479f11afe4a004d5f34bfe

To add to the dead birds, there was a dead bird sp. floating in the arm thi=
s afternoon, though I could not id it with my bins. I would think Rick is c=
orrect in speculating that the storm may be the cause of death of a large n=
umber of seabirds.<br>
AM, Rick Whitman <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dendroica.caerules=
cens@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com</a>&gt;<=
/span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I have no idea about the salmon, but wouldn&=
#39;t we look at the winter<br>
hurricane (160 km/hr at Yarmouth, I believe) last Saturday, Feb. 9th ?<br>
This was as bad as it ever gets, with temps below freezing even in SW<br>
NS. I would not be surprised that seabirds are not equal to these<br>
horrible conditions.<br>
Rick Whitman<br>
On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Andy Moir/Christine Callaghan<br>
&lt;slickdog1@gmail.com&gt; wrot=
e:<br>
&gt; Forgot to sign the first version of this:<br>
&gt; Had this reported to us today from the wife of a local lobster fisherm=
an:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 &quot;Fishermen are reporting finding salmon in their lobster trap=
s in St.<br>
&gt; Mary&#39;s Bay and also many many dead seabirds floating on the water.=
.. Mostly<br>
&gt; Murr&#39;s and Cormorants. No apparent wounds on the birds... One boat=
 reported<br>
&gt; counting over 25 dead seabirds today, this is something never seen bef=
ore in<br>
&gt; the bay... We will attempt to determine what may have happened to thes=
e<br>
&gt; birds....please if anyone fishing comes across anything out of the ord=
inary<br>
&gt; bring it ashore and contact me....&quot;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Who can perform tests on these dead birds to determine what killed<br>
&gt; them...there are several that have been collected and stored in a free=
zer?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Andy Moir<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Freeport, Long Island, Digby County<br>

--f46d04479f11afe4a004d5f34bfe--