[NatureNS] Another great bird migrant location in Lunenburg County Likely to

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 22:21:48 +0000

--_3540f529-cea2-46d1-98aa-bc5d37b0763d_

Hi all:
=20
A number of years ago my favourite birding spot in the county was in Maitla=
nd at Station Road.  I was always assured of at least 30 species any time o=
f the year that I went there and during migration in the spring and the fal=
l far more species.  Forestry occurred with a large spot being but away on =
one end of the first lake.  Near the start of the trail another big spot wa=
s cut out for a cabin.  On the other side of the second lake a hill was cle=
arcut and siltation occurred which created quite a stir on the basis of the=
 lake there.  Cutting along the trail produced more disturbance to the envi=
ronment.  Chipping sparrows which nested there no longer exist.  Red-winged=
 blackbirds that were numerous can no longer be found and neither can commo=
n grackles which nested there in numbers.  Birds are few and far between du=
ring migration and otherwise now.  I rarely visit this site any longer. =20
=20
My next favourite location=2C which became my new favourite spot was Long H=
ill.  I've seen as many as 75 species at a given time there in migration.  =
The birds used to sock down in between two hills like you would not believe=
 there.  Anytime of the year I could find 30-40 species.  Along came develo=
pers that thought that this would be a grand location for housing lots.  A =
vast amount of trees were removed and houses built.  Thus it became a virtu=
al dead zone.  I rarely go there anymore as it is useless and very devoid o=
f birds in comparison to what it once was. =20
=20
I found out today that Mahone by has graciously sold a plot to Habitat for =
Humanity.  A good cause for people=2C but I'm sorry to say a sad situation =
for birds.  My newest favourite location for migrants and birds the Fauxbur=
g Trail=2C which is how I refer to it.  It is actually off the Mahone Bay R=
oad where you turn up past ABCO plastics and it is the rail trail there.  T=
his is one of the best migrant locations ever that I've come across.  One y=
ear I saw a group of 75 blackpoll warblers there. People will remember it f=
rom my Mahone Bay outings as an awesome spot for warbler migration.  One ye=
ar we had 100's of warblers with many mourning warblers=2C and some raritie=
s.  It is close to a location where Canada warblers nest every year and lot=
s of other birds nest there as well=2C from verries to ovenbirds.  I had si=
x verry pairs there this year.  It is an awesome spot for seeing eastern wo=
od pewees in migration in goodly numbers.  Also flycatchers abound like ald=
er and least.  I one year had 75 red-eyed vireos=2C 50 blue-headed warblers=
 and 100's of warblers at one time.  I've not seen it since and probably ne=
ver will again there.  Anyhow=2C to make a long story short a tract of wood=
land will be removed for the building of a house beside the trail entrance =
for Habitat for Humanity.  This depresses me as I believe that it is quite =
possible that this disturbance there might make this wonderful location go =
the way of Station Road and Long Hill.  Oh well thats life.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_3540f529-cea2-46d1-98aa-bc5d37b0763d_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
<FONT size=3D4>
<BR id=3DecxFontBreak>Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A number of years ago my favourite birding spot in the county was in Maitla=
nd at Station Road.&nbsp=3B I was always assured of at least 30 species any=
 time of the year that I went there and during migration in the spring and =
the fall far more species.&nbsp=3B Forestry occurred with a large spot bein=
g but away on one end of the first lake.&nbsp=3B Near the start of the trai=
l another big spot was cut out for a cabin.&nbsp=3B On the other side of th=
e second lake a hill was clearcut and siltation occurred which created quit=
e a stir on the basis of the lake there.&nbsp=3B Cutting along the trail pr=
oduced more disturbance to the environment.&nbsp=3B Chipping sparrows which=
 nested there no longer exist.&nbsp=3B Red-winged blackbirds that were nume=
rous can no longer be found and neither can common grackles which nested th=
ere in numbers.&nbsp=3B Birds are few and far between during migration and =
otherwise now.&nbsp=3B I rarely visit this site any longer.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
My next favourite location=2C which became my new favourite spot was Long H=
ill.&nbsp=3B I've seen as many as 75 species at a given time there in migra=
tion.&nbsp=3B The birds used to sock down in between two hills like you wou=
ld not believe there.&nbsp=3B Anytime of the year I could find 30-40 specie=
s.&nbsp=3B Along came developers that thought that this would be a grand lo=
cation for housing lots.&nbsp=3B A vast amount of trees were removed and ho=
uses built.&nbsp=3B Thus it became a virtual dead zone.&nbsp=3B I rarely go=
 there anymore as it is useless and very devoid of birds in comparison to w=
hat it once was.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I found out today that Mahone by has graciously sold a plot to Habitat for =
Humanity.&nbsp=3B A good cause for people=2C but I'm sorry to say a sad sit=
uation for birds.&nbsp=3B My newest favourite location for migrants and bir=
ds the Fauxburg Trail=2C which is how I refer to it.&nbsp=3B It is actually=
 off the Mahone Bay Road where you turn up past ABCO plastics and it is the=
 rail trail there.&nbsp=3B This is one of the best migrant locations ever t=
hat I've come across.&nbsp=3B One year I saw a group of 75 blackpoll warble=
rs there.&nbsp=3BPeople will remember it from my Mahone Bay outings as an a=
wesome spot for warbler migration.&nbsp=3B One year we had 100's of warbler=
s with many mourning warblers=2C and some rarities.&nbsp=3B It is close to =
a location where Canada warblers nest every year and lots of other birds ne=
st there as well=2C from verries to ovenbirds.&nbsp=3B I had six verry pair=
s there this year.&nbsp=3B It is an awesome spot for seeing eastern wood pe=
wees in migration in goodly numbers.&nbsp=3B Also flycatchers abound like a=
lder and least.&nbsp=3B I one year had 75 red-eyed vireos=2C 50 blue-headed=
 warblers and 100's of warblers at one time.&nbsp=3B I've not seen it since=
 and probably never will again there.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C to make a long stor=
y short a tract of woodland will be removed for the building of a house bes=
ide the trail entrance for Habitat for Humanity.&nbsp=3B This depresses me =
as I believe that it is quite possible that this disturbance there might ma=
ke this wonderful location go the way of Station Road and Long Hill.&nbsp=
=3B Oh well thats life.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater</FONT><BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_3540f529-cea2-46d1-98aa-bc5d37b0763d_--