[NatureNS] C. Gallinule, Coot, Yellow breasted chat in Dartmouth

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 10:35:33 -0400

Monday  January 29 2012

I spent some time with Jim Edsall checking out a few of the interesting
birds in the Douglas area at the moment on Monday. There is a COMMON
GALLINULE, formally called COMMON MOORHEN at the Red Bridge Pond area. This
bird seems to be contentedly overwintering in the area adjacent a warm water
outflow into a marshy area that is very easily observed now with the
vegetation died back. Some folks are putting out food for it but it looks
like it may do fine on its own by the way it swims about.

We also found an overwintering AMERICAN COOT  that sometimes is with the
GALLINULE but on Monday was by the dam at Lake Banook and cooperated by
coming up on the land underneath bridge we were on to see very clearly its
unique tube-like projection on its digits, the red on the facial shield and
the bright red eye. Several EURASIAN WIGEONS  were feeding on the grass
banks of Sullivan's Pond with AMERICAN WIGEONS, one we were able to pick out
as a
female.

A YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT  has been about the area near Sullivan's Pond as well
but we were not able to coax it out into view if it was indeed there. These
spots are all withing 5 minutes of each other and very worth checking out if
in the Dartmouth area.

Nelson Poirier
Nature Moncton.