[NatureNS] Red-eared Slider as a pet

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:11:40 -0300
From: Rick Ballard <ideaphore@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--20cf30780c32e5444d04ad8b9f93

Here is an interesting Nova Scotia Supreme Court
case<http://www.courts.ns.ca/decisions_recent/documents/2011nssc248_mtd.pdf>regarding
a pet turtle:

SUPREME COURT OF NOVA SCOTIA
Citation: Palmer v. Nova Scotia (Natural Resources), 2011 NSSC 248

Subject: Ownership of wildlife found in a state of nature; a non-native
species of
turtle that must have either escaped captivity or been released into the
wild.
By the Court [orally]:
[1] This is an application in chambers brought by Mark Palmer both for
himself
and his two daughters, Samantha and Allison, who are respectively eight and
five
years-of-age.

I think the crux of the matter in this case is that it is illegal to remove
a turtle *from the wild* to keep as a pet.

--
Rick Ballard
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia, Canada

--20cf30780c32e5444d04ad8b9f93

Here is an interesting <a href=3D"http://www.courts.ns.ca/decisions_recent/=
documents/2011nssc248_mtd.pdf">Nova Scotia Supreme Court case</a> regarding=
VA SCOTIA<br>
Citation: Palmer v. Nova Scotia (Natural Resources), 2011 NSSC 248<br><br>S=
ubject: Ownership of wildlife found in a state of nature; a non-native spec=
ies of<br>turtle that must have either escaped captivity or been released i=
nto the<br>
mbers brought by Mark Palmer both for himself<br>and his two daughters, Sam=
antha and Allison, who are respectively eight and five<br>years-of-age.<br>
s=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:58 PM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<=
a href=3D"mailto:soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca">soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;</=
span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">Hi all,<br>
 =A0 I just spoke with DNR&#39;s regional biologist about the Red-eared Tur=
tle. Apparently it is illegal to keep one. The Minister of Natural Resource=
s has the power to ban certain animal species under regulations stemming fr=
om the N.S. Wildlife Act. Apparently the Red-eared Turtle is on this &quot;=
no-pets&quot; list.<br>

 =A0 This explains why you can no longer find it in pet stores. Who knew? D=
NR staff are picking up my turtle tomorrow morning.<br>
 =A0 Dusan Soudek<br>
---- <a href=3D"mailto:duartess@ns.sympatico.ca">duartess@ns.sympatico.ca</=
a> wrote:<br>
&gt; I know it had to do with them carrying salmonella and so pet stores we=
re no longer allowed to sell them. This was years ago of course. I don&#39;=
t know how some people have acquired them since but know they&#39;re still =
out there.<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; I don&#39;t know what Health Canada says about them now, however.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Gayle<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ---- Elizabeth Doull &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:edoull@ns.sympatico.ca">edo=
ull@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; I have =A0question, Gayle<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Is it now illegal to own a red-eared slider as a pet? =A0If so, w=
hy are we<br>
&gt; &gt; still seeing them today? =A0I remember having one =A0as a kid yea=
rs ago!<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; thanks<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; liz<br>
&gt; &gt; ...........<br>
&gt; &gt; Maybe Kents at MicMac Mall might want it. In their Garden Center =
they have<br>
&gt; &gt; an artificial pond with 3 (I believe) Red-eared Sliders residing =
in it. As<br>
&gt; &gt; for DNR, I recall an incident not long ago where a family had the=
ir Slider<br>
&gt; &gt; that had been their pet for years, confiscated by DNR. They were =
going to<br>
&gt; &gt; destroy it and the family, I believe, had to take the whole situa=
tion to<br>
&gt; &gt; court &amp; it was only then that DNR released it to the Wildlife=
 park.<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Gayle MacLean<br>
&gt; &gt; Dartmouth<br>