[NatureNS] Red-eared Slider as a pet

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:58:50 -0300
From: <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi all,
   I just spoke with DNR's regional biologist about the Red-eared Turtle. Apparently it is illegal to keep one. The Minister of Natural Resources has the power to ban certain animal species under regulations stemming from the N.S. Wildlife Act. Apparently the Red-eared Turtle is on this "no-pets" list.
   This explains why you can no longer find it in pet stores. Who knew? DNR staff are picking up my turtle tomorrow morning.
   Dusan Soudek