[NatureNS] slugs and snails

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:15:38 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

_blank"&gt;istar.ca&lt;/a&gt;&amp;gt; &lt;a href=3D"http://pinicola.ca/" target=3D"_blank
On 8/22/2011 1:32 PM, Rick Ballard wrote:
> Here is a photo
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/ideaphore/3845769197/in/photostream> of a
> small pointy shelled snail common at my cottage, plentiful on the
> daylilies. The shell is on the order of a centimeter long, if that.  Is
> this the same as the pointy snails you mentioned ?

* that's a Succineid, or "Amber Snail," which is certainly pointy, but
which didn't occur to me, since I was thinking of species with more
substantial shells. There's one of these (they're hard to identify),
perhaps Succinea putris, which has recently become very common along the
Lake Ontario waterfront, so there is a candidate invasive species that
Marg Millard may have been seeing.

And, for Marg, putting snails directly into alcohol will preserve the
shell and the DNA, but to properly preserve them they should be drowned
in club soda to extend the body, and then transferred to 70% alcohol.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm