[NatureNS] slugs and snails

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:32:05 -0300
From: Rick Ballard <ideaphore@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--20cf307d054431cb8c04ab1b7502

Here is a photo<http://www.flickr.com/photos/ideaphore/3845769197/in/photos=
tream>of
a small pointy shelled snail common at my cottage, plentiful on the
daylilies. The shell is on the order of a centimeter long, if that.  Is thi=
the same as the pointy snails you mentioned ?

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Frederick W. Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>wro=
te:

> On 8/22/2011 12:44 PM, Marg Millard wrote:
>
>  I am getting a higher number of snails than I have ever noticed before
>> and there seems to be a new (to me) shape to the shell with a goodly
>> number of the ones I am seeing. I have a usual yellowy one with the
>> rounded shells that climb the greenhouse walls and I see occasionally on
>> the walk and even once in awhile on plants but this new one has a much
>> more pointy shell and likes to climb a lot of the vines including the
>> Honeysuckle as well as my peas. I noticed back in July one or two when I
>> was planting a newly built raised bed but nothing that really to an
>> attention getter. I have seen them as well as a couple varieties of
>> slugs. I remember someone asking me to save any slugs/snails I found for
>> them but I cannot remember who wanted them.
>>

> * that may have been us when we were in NS last summer. We'd still be
> interested in receiving samples of shells of your ordinary (probably Cepa=
ea
> hortensis) and unknown snails, or photographs, or preserved or living slu=
gs.

> You can get a free copy of "Identifying Land Snails and Slugs in Canada =
=96
> Introduced Species and Native Genera" from the Canadian Food Inspection
> Agency by phoning the number given at http://www.inspection.gc.ca/**
> english/plaveg/pestrava/**escarge.shtml<http://www.inspection.gc.ca/engli=
sh/plaveg/pestrava/escarge.shtml>

> If your vine-climbing pointed snails are as large as the Cepaea, I have n=
> idea what they might be.
>
> fred schueler
> ------------------------------**------------------------------
>         Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
> Bishops Mills Natural History Centre - http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.htm
> now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
> http://fragileinheritance.org/**projects/thirty/thirtyintro.**htm<http://=
fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm>
> Daily Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.**blogspot.com/<http://kar=
staddailypaintings.blogspot.com/>
>    RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
>  on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52'N 75* 42'W
>   (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca/
> ------------------------------**------------------------------
> ------------------------------**------------------------------

--=20
Rick Ballard
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.ideaphore.com

--20cf307d054431cb8c04ab1b7502

Here is a <a href=3D"http://www.flickr.com/photos/ideaphore/3845769197/in/p=
hotostream">photo</a> of a small pointy shelled snail common at my cottage,=
 plentiful on the daylilies. The shell is on the order of a centimeter long=
, if that.=A0 Is this the same as the pointy snails you mentioned ?<br>
ck W. Schueler <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bckcdb@istar.ca">bck=
le=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
I am getting a higher number of snails than I have ever noticed before<br>
and there seems to be a new (to me) shape to the shell with a goodly<br>
number of the ones I am seeing. I have a usual yellowy one with the<br>
rounded shells that climb the greenhouse walls and I see occasionally on<br=

the walk and even once in awhile on plants but this new one has a much<br>
more pointy shell and likes to climb a lot of the vines including the<br>
Honeysuckle as well as my peas. I noticed back in July one or two when I<br=

was planting a newly built raised bed but nothing that really to an<br>
attention getter. I have seen them as well as a couple varieties of<br>
slugs. I remember someone asking me to save any slugs/snails I found for<br=

them but I cannot remember who wanted them.<br>
* that may have been us when we were in NS last summer. We&#39;d still be i=
nterested in receiving samples of shells of your ordinary (probably Cepaea =
hortensis) and unknown snails, or photographs, or preserved or living slugs=
.<br>

You can get a free copy of &quot;Identifying Land Snails and Slugs in Canad=
a =96 Introduced Species and Native Genera&quot; from the Canadian Food Ins=
pection Agency by phoning the number given at <a href=3D"http://www.inspect=
ion.gc.ca/english/plaveg/pestrava/escarge.shtml" target=3D"_blank">http://w=

If your vine-climbing pointed snails are as large as the Cepaea, I have no =
idea what they might be.<br>
fred schueler<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Frederick W. Schueler &amp; Aleta Karstad<br>
Bishops Mills Natural History Centre - <a href=3D"http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.=
htm" target=3D"_blank">http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.htm</a><br>
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -<br>
arget=3D"_blank">http://fragileinheritance.org/<u></u>projects/thirty/thirt=
Daily Paintings - <a href=3D"http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/" ta=
 =A0 =A0RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0<br>
 =A0on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52&#39;N 75* 42&#39;W<br>
 =A0 <a href=3D"tel:%28613%29258-3107" value=3D"+16132583107" target=3D"_bl=
ank">(613)258-3107</a> &lt;bckcdb at <a href=3D"http://istar.ca" target=3D"=
_blank">istar.ca</a>&gt; <a href=3D"http://pinicola.ca/" target=3D"_blank