[NatureNS] Snake in Timberlea

From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 11:44:15 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_7TzPsUaaWmxoa31cTUGp3Q)

Yesterday in Timberlea, Halifax County, on the BLT trail near the =
beginning of the Bluff Wilderness Trail, I saw what was for me a =
puzzling snake -- about 10-12 inches long, thinner than an adult Garter =
S and not striped. I gently turned part of the snake over with one stem =
of my sunglasses and saw little colour difference between the top and =
the belly -- a dull orange. At home I checked 3 books & 3 on-line =
sources. Peterson Guide to Reptiles & Amphibians (3rd ed.) says that the =
Redbelly (Red-bellied) Snake is "subject to great variations," and that =
"the belly colour, normally bright red, may vary through orange to pale =
yellow" -- so I'm guessing, also with process of elimination and the =
resemblance of what I saw to the Redbelly in the photos on p. 309 in =
Peterson and the photos (but not the illustrations) on the NS Museum =
website, that this must've been a Redbelly. Those I've seen before had =
genuine red bellies. (Wouldn't you know it, this was one day I hadn't =
taken my camera.) If any herpitology buffs have other ideas, I'd =
appreciate hearing.=20
Brian Bartlett, Halifax

--Boundary_(ID_7TzPsUaaWmxoa31cTUGp3Q)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.7600.16766"></HEAD>
<BODY style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 15px"
id=MailContainerBody leftMargin=0 topMargin=0 CanvasTabStop="true"
name="Compose message area">
<DIV><FONT face=Calibri>Yesterday in Timberlea, Halifax County, on the BLT trail
near the beginning of the Bluff&nbsp;Wilderness Trail, I saw what was for
me&nbsp;a puzzling snake -- about 10-12 inches long, thinner than an
adult&nbsp;Garter S and not striped. I gently turned part of the snake over with
one stem of my sunglasses and saw little colour difference between the top and
the belly -- a dull orange. At home I checked 3 books &amp; 3 on-line sources.
Peterson Guide to Reptiles &amp; Amphibians (3rd ed.) says that the Redbelly
(Red-bellied) Snake is "subject to great variations," and that "the belly
colour, normally bright red, may vary through orange to pale yellow" -- so I'm
guessing, also with process of elimination and the resemblance of what I saw to
the Redbelly in the photos on p. 309 in Peterson and the photos (but not the
illustrations) on the NS Museum website, that this must've been a Redbelly.
Those I've seen before had genuine red bellies.&nbsp;(Wouldn't you know it, this
was one day I hadn't&nbsp;taken my camera.) If any herpitology buffs have other
ideas, I'd appreciate hearing. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Calibri>Brian Bartlett, Halifax</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Calibri></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_7TzPsUaaWmxoa31cTUGp3Q)--