[NatureNS] Dogs on walks 2nd try

From: "Tom & Terri" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:57:31 -0300

2nd try for this responce

Hi All

I've been a dog owner most of my life with working hunting dogs and I am a
dog owner now with a dog that does listen on and off lead. Being a large dog
(Lab/Rotty mix) he can be intimidating to people along the streets and walk
ways of our town. All too often you see people crossing the road to avoid
the contact with our large strong looking dog.

I have the greatest respect for other people's fears, phobias and concerns
and don't intend to impose my love of dogs on them. In the rural and urban
settings along our roads and though fairs everyone has the choice to cross
the road or take an alternate route/street. Along trails there's most often
no option. I know dog owners that only take their dogs on trails because
there are fewer people for them to encounter, because the owner can't
control its cross dog that refuses to be socialized. (may I add that I don't
believe in bad dogs just bad owners). Due to this quite a few people refused
to use the trails because of this dog problem. Those that did travel for
years found themselves caring walking sticks (weapons). Now the locals know
what vehicle to watch out for, but what about the new or infrequent visitor
to these trails! Is it fair for them to be forced into a close encounter
they may not appreciate and have little control over? What will be their
feeling after such an encounter? Will they return or recommend the trail or
area to others or possibly spread fear?

As for the back end of this problem goes there are lots of dog walkers that
don't respect the stoop and scoop in the rural setting with people watching
their activity. I hardly believe they'd become better stewards on a trail.

On our own local trails we use to have Deer seen regularly along the trail
that were quite tame. That is until the natural predators (dogs) were
brought along for the walk by a few good intentioned people. The local deer
can and will get desensitized to human traffic but to the dogs it's almost
imposable. There use to be lots of relatively tame Squirrels along the
trails at feeders set up for them and the birds. Now the birds and squirrels
are gone at the least disturbance (sound or movement). I probably don't need
to go into detail about baby rabbits, cubbies of Grouse, and ground nesting
birds.

We need many more people to use and adopt these trails as their own special
places and become stewards. This is the only way that some/most can thrive
and survive.

So in my view the use the trail by only a couple of dog walkers can and will
negatively effected the experience for all!

I know the tar may be thick but I feel it should be for "All" wilderness
trails.

Tom K

Canso