[NatureNS] Owl

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:45:45 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--20cf305b127c58c1c604a146911c

Hi,

If a Gt. Horned owl is in that area at this time of year, it's quite
possible that there is a nest nearby. Indeed, a pair nested there for 2 or 3
years in a row about 20 years ago. Around the same time, there also used to
be a one-eyed Barred owl that hung around the trailer park there. I can only
suggest that you keep a close watch on the area, scan the trees, go out at
night and listen, and see if you can track down the bird. When you scan the
trees during the daytime, watch very carefully for the shape of a possible
owl, as they tend not to move during the day. Also, check under possible
roost trees for 'whitewash" and pellets.

I haven't been into Palmeter Woods lately, but if work schedule and the fact
that I'm laid low with a horrible cold right now, permit, then I could have
a look in that area soon.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--20cf305b127c58c1c604a146911c

year, it&#39;s quite possible that there is a nest nearby. Indeed, a pair n=
ested there for 2 or 3 years in a row about 20 years ago. Around the same t=
ime, there also used to be a one-eyed Barred owl that hung around the trail=
er park there. I can only suggest that you keep a close watch on the area, =
scan the trees, go out at night and listen, and see if you can track down t=
he bird. When you scan the trees during the daytime, watch very carefully f=
or the shape of a possible owl, as they tend not to move during the day. Al=
so, check under possible roost trees for &#39;whitewash&quot; and pellets.<=
/div>

ork schedule and the fact that I&#39;m laid low with a horrible cold right =

t 10:57 AM, Andrew Hebda <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:HEBDAAJ@go=
ail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-le=
ft:1ex;">

You might want to check with Richard Stern.. I am not aware os specific sit=
es in your area. =A0 He can be reached through <a href=3D"mailto:sternricha=
rd@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>
A<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Gaz Manning &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:gaz@accesswave.ca">gaz@acces=
swave.ca</a>&gt; 4/18/2011 10:58 pm &gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0I have been trying to get a good shot of an owl ,I =
live in coldbrook ,about what time in the morning and can you be any more s=
pecific in the area ,I would love to get a good shot<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0regards<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Gary Manning<br>
 =A0----- Original Message -----<br>
 =A0From: andy dean<br>
 =A0To: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<=
/a><br>
 =A0Sent: Monday, April 18, 2011 9:43 PM<br>
 =A0Subject: [NatureNS] Owl<br>
 =A0There was a great-horned owl by the Cornwallis River floodplain ( Palme=
ters wood area =A0) behind the Evergreen home in Kentville this morning. I =
got a good photograph from approx 5 meters distance.<br>
 =A0Andy and Lelia Dean<br>
 =A086 Baden Powell Drive<br>
 =A0Kentville, N.S.<br>
 =A0(902) 678-6243<br>