[NatureNS] Salmon Spawn

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 11:38:09 -0300
From: Jeff Hiltz <4x4play@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000e0cd3108a3d93ec04a02cd360

What river was this?? I understand that some rivers have different seasonal
runs than others...

Cheers!
Jeff

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Thanks Gloria
> I never thought of that possibility.
> It is the interesting thing about fish. We never know they exist until they
> come into contact with us. A few moments and they are gone again - who knows
> where?
> Have a nice spring
> Paul
>
> --- On Mon, 4/4/11, turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca <
> turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > From: turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca <turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca>
> > Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Salmon Spawn
> > To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> > Cc: "Paul MacDonald" <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
> > It could be an escaped farm salmon
> > that has no clue what season is the right one. It did well
> > to find its way into fresh water.
> >
> > Gloria
> >

> > ---- Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi All
> > > We had an unusual occurence today that I should like
> > to tell you about.
> > > A friend and I went trout fishing by canoe as we do
> > probably 100 times a year!
> > > After a little while I hooked a fish and when it came
> > up we saw that it was a salmon kelt. Although we were in a
> > good trout spot this happens sometimes early April.
> > > I brought it over beside the canoe to release it and
> > then  grabbed it by the tail to bring it on my knee so
> > to remove the hook. My friend got his camera out so he would
> > have a record of the proper procedure. Anyway I got the hook
> > out and dropped it over the side but not before she squirted
> > 15 - 20 eggs on my foot and the bottom of the canoe. Most
> > unusual.
> > > As salmon spawn in the autumn this was definitely out
> > of season. Neither of us had ever seen it happen before and
> > as he is familiar with the literature on the subject had
> > never read about such a thing.
> > > Nature never ceases to amaze! Not many folks can say
> > they had a salmon spawn on their knee.
> > > Enjoy the spring
> > > Paul

--000e0cd3108a3d93ec04a02cd360

What river was this?? I understand that some rivers have different seasonal=
class=3D"gmail_quote">On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Paul MacDonald <span =
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:paulrita2001@yahoo.com">paulrita2001@yaho=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">Thanks Gloria<br>
I never thought of that possibility.<br>
It is the interesting thing about fish. We never know they exist until they=
 come into contact with us. A few moments and they are gone again - who kno=
ws where?<br>
Have a nice spring<br>
Paul<br>
--- On Mon, 4/4/11, <a href=3D"mailto:turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca">turtlevo=
ice@ns.sympatico.ca</a> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca">=
turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; From: <a href=3D"mailto:turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca">turtlevoice@ns.sy=
mpatico.ca</a> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca">turtlevoi=
ce@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Salmon Spawn<br>
&gt; To: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca=
</a><br>
&gt; Cc: &quot;Paul MacDonald&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:paulrita2001@yaho=
o.com">paulrita2001@yahoo.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Received: Monday, April 4, 2011, 4:11 PM<br>
r>
&gt; that has no clue what season is the right one. It did well<br>
&gt; to find its way into fresh water.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Gloria<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ---- Paul MacDonald &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:paulrita2001@yahoo.com">paul=
rita2001@yahoo.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; Hi All<br>
&gt; &gt; We had an unusual occurence today that I should like<br>
&gt; to tell you about.<br>
&gt; &gt; A friend and I went trout fishing by canoe as we do<br>
&gt; probably 100 times a year!<br>
&gt; &gt; After a little while I hooked a fish and when it came<br>
&gt; up we saw that it was a salmon kelt. Although we were in a<br>
&gt; good trout spot this happens sometimes early April.<br>
&gt; &gt; I brought it over beside the canoe to release it and<br>
&gt; then=A0 grabbed it by the tail to bring it on my knee so<br>
&gt; to remove the hook. My friend got his camera out so he would<br>
&gt; have a record of the proper procedure. Anyway I got the hook<br>
&gt; out and dropped it over the side but not before she squirted<br>
&gt; 15 - 20 eggs on my foot and the bottom of the canoe. Most<br>
&gt; unusual.<br>
&gt; &gt; As salmon spawn in the autumn this was definitely out<br>
&gt; of season. Neither of us had ever seen it happen before and<br>
&gt; as he is familiar with the literature on the subject had<br>
&gt; never read about such a thing.<br>
&gt; &gt; Nature never ceases to amaze! Not many folks can say<br>
&gt; they had a salmon spawn on their knee.<br>
&gt; &gt; Enjoy the spring<br>
&gt; &gt; Paul<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;<br>