[NatureNS] Backyard bird count?

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:35:47 -0400

--_b309024c-3b2c-4182-b3a5-f27c4485f901_

=20
    This is one of the main aspects of the GBBC that really ticks off a lot=
 of people who live in small communities.  We have enough trouble maintaini=
ng community identities as schools=2C churches=2C and local post offices al=
l fall victim to the "bigger is better" mentality.  There is no apparent re=
ason why the GBBC could not accept the names of all communities=2C just as =
eBird does=2C perhaps requiring geographic co-ordinates and county the firs=
t time that one is entered.  Instead=2C when we enter a name=2C we get the =
"There is no record of that locale in our database"=2C and we are required =
to enter a postal code or location that=2C as David notes=2C may be as much=
 as 50km away.  This results in such ludicrous reports as Common Eider at M=
iddleton or Aylesford.  Unfortunately=2C the civic street numbering has not=
 helped in Nova Scotia=2C  Postal codes for most P. O.'s have not been subd=
ivided=2C and=2C where they have=2C it is usually by delivery route=2C not =
local community=2C and any one of these may still cover 50km or more.  Psyc=
hologically=2C it has gotten worse in recent years=2C because of Post Offic=
e policies requiring us to include our street address with the community na=
me where the P. O. is located=2C as though that town had just annexed all t=
he surrounding communities (e.g.=2C 562 Messenger Rd.=2C Kingston).  I real=
ize that GBBC has nothing to do with that=2C but it increases the irritatio=
n effect of every other attempt to suppress local names.
=20
   I hope that the reviewers and anyone else who cares about accurate data =
or identities of small communities will encourage Pat Leonard and the GBBC =
crew to change this restrictive policy of locality data entry.
=20
Cheers=2C

Wayne P. Neily
562 Messenger Rd.=2C =20
Tremont=2C Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia

 "Go forth=2C under the open sky=2C and list=20
To Nature's teachings." - William Cullen Bryant=2C 1817 [Thanatopsis].=20

=20

> Date: Sun=2C 20 Feb 2011 10:22:07 -0800
> From: suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Backyard bird count?
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>=20
> Hi Jeannie=3B
>=20
> David Christie's answer is correct. If you're town or community isn't lis=
ted=2C and if it doesn't come up when you enter it on the page "Submit Your=
 Checklist" - then use your postal code only. Leave the community space bla=
nk.
>=20
> If you're entering sightings for another area=2C and that doesn't come up=
=2C enter a postal code of a house or business that is close to where you s=
aw birds.
>=20
> If you have any other questions=2C just contact me at:
>=20
> suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca
>=20
> or phone me at: 445-2922
>=20
> Thanks for participating!
>=20
> Suzanne Borkowski
> GBBC Reviewer
> Nova Scotia
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B This is one of the main aspects of the GBBC that r=
eally ticks off a lot of people who live in small communities.&nbsp=3B We h=
ave enough trouble maintaining community identities as schools=2C churches=
=2C and local post offices all fall victim to the "bigger is better" mental=
ity.&nbsp=3B There is no apparent reason why the GBBC could not accept the =
names of all communities=2C just as eBird does=2C perhaps requiring&nbsp=3B=
geographic co-ordinates and county&nbsp=3Bthe first time that&nbsp=3Bone is=
 entered.&nbsp=3B Instead=2C when we enter a name=2C we get the "There is n=
o record of that locale in our database"=2C and we are required to enter a =
postal code or location that=2C as David notes=2C may be as much as 50km aw=
ay.&nbsp=3B This results in such ludicrous reports as Common Eider at Middl=
eton or Aylesford.&nbsp=3B Unfortunately=2C the civic street numbering has =
not helped in Nova Scotia=2C&nbsp=3B Postal codes for most P. O.'s have not=
 been subdivided=2C and=2C where they have=2C it is usually by delivery rou=
te=2C not local community=2C and any one of these may still cover 50km or m=
ore.&nbsp=3B Psychologically=2C it has gotten worse in recent years=2C beca=
use of Post Office policies requiring us to include our street address with=
 the community name where the P. O. is located=2C as though that town had j=
ust annexed all the surrounding communities (e.g.=2C 562 Messenger Rd.=2C K=
ingston).&nbsp=3B I realize that GBBC has nothing to do with that=2C but it=
 increases the irritation effect&nbsp=3Bof every other attempt to suppress =
local names.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B I hope