[NatureNS] Eagles at River Philip

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 22:53:11 -0300
From: Jeff hiltz <4x4play@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--00504502c78a121f23048d09d05b

Was this near Kobec (sp?), Cindy and I took a cruise two weeks ago and saw
at least a half dozen Eagles along the river and we were guided by a local
who pointed out two nests to us, one of which had 2 juveniles. We didn't get
to witness anything quite as exciting as your sighting though.

Cheers!
Jeff (Springhill)

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:35 PM, V. Redden <Reddenville@nncweb.ca> wrote:

>  Today my grandson and I were driving along River Philip and we saw an
> adult Bald Eagle trying to fly with a large fish / eel in its claws. It
> did not get very far off the water. It flew along the edge of the river and
> then disappeared from sight. We knew it had to have landed nearby so we
> pulled off the road and got out to look over the bank to the edge of the
> river. We saw three eagles, 2 adults and a juvenile. We heard some eagle
> talk and away flew an adult and the juvenile. We walked a little further on
> hoping to see the other adult. OUr chatter must have startled the adult and
> it lifted off with the prey from an unseen location. It flew across the
> river but was having a lot of difficulty, it could not get any altitude.
> Finally, not quite across, the eagle landed on the water. Some splashing
> took place, the prey may have been trying to escape or a grip was being
> adjusted. The eagle then settled into rowing itself to shore. We watched
> until it was on land but our poor eyesight and the distance prevented us
> from being sure the prey landed also.
> My grandson said that was 'quite a sight' and the best thing we've seen so
> far. He's been here from Victoria for 5 days.
> So I would say Bald Eagles are breeding at River Philip.
> Great sight.
> Virginia and Noah
> Port Howe NS
>
> They hang the man and flog the woman
> That steal the goose from off the common,
> But let the greater villain loose
> That steals the common from the goose.

--00504502c78a121f23048d09d05b

Was this near Kobec (sp?), Cindy and I took a cruise two weeks ago and saw =
at least a half dozen Eagles along the river and we were guided by a local =
who pointed out two nests to us, one of which had 2 juveniles. We didn&#39;=
t get to witness anything quite as exciting as your sighting though.<div>
il_quote">On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 5:35 PM, V. Redden <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<=
a href=3D"mailto:Reddenville@nncweb.ca">Reddenville@nncweb.ca</a>&gt;</span=
> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

[...]
distance prevented us from being sure the prey landed also. <br>
My grandson said that was &#39;quite a sight&#39; and the best thing we&#39=
;ve seen
so far. He&#39;s been here from Victoria for 5 days.<br>
So I would say Bald Eagles are breeding at River Philip. <br>
Great sight.<br>
Virginia and Noah<br>
Port Howe NS<br>
<pre cols=3D"72">They hang the man and flog the woman
That steal the goose from off the common,
But let the greater villain loose
That steals the common from the goose.</pre>

--00504502c78a121f23048d09d05b--