[NatureNS] Monarchs Emerge

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:28:31 -0300
From: Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Steve,
   I agree with your observations on ages of plants to look for
caterpillars and eggs. We have a wide age-range of milkweed in our field
- We usually find the eggs on very young plants ( ~10 cm tall) and
caterpillars on modest sized plants.  My theory is that the Monarchs
have learned that the caterpillars are best growing up with the plant.
If you have ever seen the size of the caterpillar that emerges from that
small egg, it is miniscule and would have a tough time eating those
larger leaves of the mature milkweed.

  The milkweed patch that I did not cut is made of mature plants and
were probably too big at the time the butterflies were laying.

Larry