[NatureNS] Twig Caterpillar, Halifax

Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 03:20:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: bev wigney <bev@magickcanoe.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-528763928-1280744400=:58802

Hello Patricia (and all)

Here are some  web pages to try if you haven't looked at them already.  My guess
is that your caterpillar is one of the Geometridae moths, but there are other
possibilities.  Anyhow, here are some good references:

Jason Dombroskie's moth caterpillar pages on the Moth Photographer's Group
website.  The first link is to the main page which lists his plate series down
near the bottom (both moth and caterpillar plates):
http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/Files/JDom/JDomIndex.shtml
More specifically, here is his plate for the Geometridae moth caterpillars - if
you don't see your caterpillar here, then give some of Jason's other moth
caterpillar plates a try:
http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/Files/JDom/JDom21.shtml

Tom Murray also has a good page of moth caterpillars in his Pbase gallery.
Unlike Jason, he has not divided his moth caterpillars by family.   Here is the
Just for reference, here is a link to Tom's butterfly caterpillar page as well:
http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/butterfly_caterpillars

I haven't done that much work with moth caterpillars as yet, but am hoping to do
some over the next couple of weeks.  By the way, August is generally a good
month to see many insects and spiders at their adult stage as many are
completing their life cycle at this time in the season.  I'll be trying to spend
some time photographing insects most days when taking a break from working on my
house.

For those who are interested, I've continued to add more moth photos to my
gallery.  I have a backlog of images to process and upload, but I'm pretty sure
the count must be well past 200 species so far for just this site at Round Hill,
N.S.    The newest moths to be added are down at the bottom - many are ID'd, but
I haven't had time to sort them into their proper position based on Hodges
numbers:
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/round_hill_moths

cheers,
Bev Wigney