[NatureNS] Wolfville Tues - Merlins and shorebirds

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:17:39 -0300

July 27 / 10

A pair of obviously recently fledged Merlins - with very visible fluffy down
feathers being ruffled by the light winds blowing - were  calling rather
plaintively from the top of a dying tree on the edge of Acadia University
campus (Acadia St  and  Highland Ave ) at noon today. As I passed the area
again several hours later I could still hear their frantic appeals for
attention in roughly the same area.

Visited Grand Pre around high tide looking for shorebirds. Didn't find any
beach' roost' at The Guzzle, though heard at least 1-2 Black Bellied Plover
and a Sh-billed Dowitcher calling, possibly in flight. Noted ten or so bass
anglers at the eastern tip (eight vehicles). Before I left small flocks of
Semipalmated Sandpipers began arriving from a southerly direction -
Avonport? Windsor? or possibly even from a field roosting location, I could
not tell.  The flocks varied from 20 , 100, 150,  but did not land.  As I
left via the western end of Long Island heading south along the western dyke
road, I found another flock of  200+ SPSAs  restlessly waiting for the tide
to turn, flying back and forth, before finally settling on rocks towards the
northern end of this dyke.

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts