[NatureNS] Shorebirds central Nova

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:53:53 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_Oe+813rT47qzBAMOpYitWg)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Unlike Johnny Nickerson who is blessed with so many shorebirds, I have relatively few to report since I have been atlassing mostly inland in the Liscomb Sanctuary area. On July 15, a group of us including Randy Lauff and Mark Pulsifer and 2 others boated to Pomquet I. where we atlassed the Island. Randy had a couple of pair of Spotted Sandpipers showing evidence of breeding and I had a LEAST SANDPIPER, likely a migrant. Back at the wharf neat Bayfield, we had a couple of LESSER YELLOWLEGS and after the others had left, a WHIMBREL flew over. We were able to confirm nesting Herring and Greater Black-backed Gulls, Great Blue Heron and Double-crested Cormorant as colonial species on the island and a Fox Sparrow was added as an "A" aggitated for the Monks Head square, uncommon along the Northumberland Strait area although recored on the first atlas as well.
On July 16, I had a SOLITARY SANDPIPER in the Ogden area.
On July 17, I had just finished atlassing my MacPhail L.square (20NQ49) and decided I would continue on the road into the square to the south, Lochaber Mines (20NQ48)-, a square well atlassed by Susann Myers. I was able to add GREATER YELLOWLEGS with fledged young to this square. The 4 young were on the road as I rounded a turn on the logging road. An adult took to a tree scolded me and was joined by the other adult in a couple of minutes while I was snapping a couple of photos.
On July 19, I had another SOLITARY SANDPIPER in Mitchell Bay, Guys. Co. A couple of families of Willets were seen in the Mitchell Bay areas as well and will in the marsh Nelson's Sparrows were singing away despite relatively high water levels.
cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_Oe+813rT47qzBAMOpYitWg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18928">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Unlike Johnny Nickerson who is blessed with so many
shorebirds, I have relatively few to report since I have been atlassing mostly
inland in the Liscomb Sanctuary area. On July 15, a group of us including Randy
Lauff and Mark Pulsifer and 2 others boated to Pomquet I. where we atlassed the
Island. Randy had a couple of pair of Spotted Sandpipers showing evidence of
breeding and I had a LEAST SANDPIPER, likely a migrant. Back at the wharf neat
Bayfield, we had a couple of&nbsp;LESSER YELLOWLEGS and after the others had
left, a WHIMBREL flew over. We were able to confirm nesting Herring and Greater
Black-backed Gulls, Great Blue Heron and Double-crested Cormorant as colonial
species on the island and a Fox Sparrow was added as an "A" aggitated for the
Monks Head square, uncommon along the Northumberland Strait area although
recored on the first atlas as well. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On July 16, I had a SOLITARY SANDPIPER in the Ogden
area. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On July 17, I had just finished atlassing my
MacPhail L.square (20NQ49)&nbsp;and decided I would continue on the road into
the square to the south, Lochaber Mines (20NQ48)-, a square well atlassed by
Susann Myers. I was able to add GREATER YELLOWLEGS with fledged young to this
square. The 4 young were on the road as I rounded a turn on the logging road. An
adult took to a tree scolded me and was joined by the other adult in a couple of
minutes while I&nbsp;was snapping a couple of photos. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On July 19, I had another SOLITARY SANDPIPER in
Mitchell Bay, Guys. Co. A couple of families of Willets were seen in the
Mitchell Bay areas as well and will in the marsh Nelson's Sparrows were singing
away despite relatively high water levels. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_Oe+813rT47qzBAMOpYitWg)--